need help.with age/style of dresser

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Sidonae, Jun 5, 2016.

1. Sidonae

Sidonae New Member

2. Sidonae

Sidonae New Member

Dovetails in the drawers image.jpg

3. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Hi there Sidonae! Welcome!

Of course I don't know your purpose to buy this or the price, but if it is for resale, be sure it will be a popular item in your part of the country. It's been through a lot of moisture, possibly a flood (the feet look damaged), so it's not in great shape. There's no shortage of this style, even if this one does date back to the 1700s (which in my opinion is unlikely). If you'll post more photos of the back, close ups of the front and sides, maybe Brad or another furniture guru can better help you.

4. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

1700'S I doubt - it looks like something out of the 1960's - I'm no expert so wait for others to answer. I'v never seen such wimpy dovetails - and to have a "half" tail at top and bottom is equally strange!

antidiem likes this.
  5. Sidonae

Sidonae New Member

6. Sidonae

Sidonae New Member

7. Sidonae

Sidonae New Member

Yeah, I had a feeling this was not exactly a classic antique. Thanks.

8. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Don't want to piss you off but that's something I'd garbage pick and tear it apart to use the wood to build bird houses!!:woot:

Sidonae likes this.
  9. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Welllll, it does have bun feet and probably original round wood pulls albeit 2 are missing. I agree with the others on damaged; howeverrrrr, it might????? date to c1900. Mind you it "might" date to the turn of the century. Definitely not to the 1700s. Wait for Brad.

--- Susan

10. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Not a whole lot of style to it. 3rd quarter of the 19th century pine "country" chest. Country because it is more likely carpenter built than by a high style maker in the city.

Rayo56 likes this.
  11. Daemon

Daemon Member

As far as style goes, I'd say shaker, but not made by an actual shaker, definitely "folk art". And the condition lowers it's value considerably. I'd agree with Brad on the age, maybe early 1900s even.

Draft saved Draft deleted