Need help with cinnabar asian container

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Crim000, Jun 14, 2020.

1. Crim000

Crim000 Active Member

If anyone can help with date or information on this piece it is appreciated. Green enamel on bottom and inside. Metal rim that has been over painted at some point. C59021EF-98BF-486D-85AE-19B54A90E942.jpeg 254D4A47-F5FB-41C5-815C-06774B5F1204.jpeg B23BC1DB-FA6D-425B-BB15-48D3DC345916.jpeg 93D5FDF1-C56B-4EC1-A1EB-6D31E1723218.jpeg DAEC947D-C280-4DF8-9DA5-670FDEA8A9C5.jpeg

Attached Files:

Christmasjoy likes this.
  2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Very nice.
    It's hard to tell from pictures, but this does not look today's resin.
    Shows smoothing of features across the top.
    I would say 1930s or 1950s. But I am only guessing.

I do not recommend the fingernail polish that is suggested here. Get a good magnifying glass and look for the layers.
    https://www.realorrepro.com/article/Cinnabar

3. Crim000

Crim000 Active Member

kyratango and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Oh good.
    Wait for others to comment.
    I would think 1930s or earlier.

@Couch Potato Wannabe is this something you know about?

Christmasjoy and Crim000 like this.
  5. Couch Potato Wannabe

Couch Potato Wannabe Well-Known Member

Only in so far as authentic cinnabar can be hazardous to your health, with mercury vapour emissions. I have in fact seen some actual examples of items like these being produced on modern-day multi-axis routers, as a means to mass-produce some quick variations of otherwise intricately carved items. The 'layers' seen, being those of the router step adjustments in height, with the top surface then finished in a hand-polished manner to round over edge and corners to better represent the hand-carved versions. The ones I've seen are extremely convincing.

I cannot see a sharp enough close-up photo to tell if this would be one of those modern-day versions, but I certainly wouldn't recommend any tests which are designed to even slightly melt or soften an inconspicuous section as a test, as if it is real cinnabar then the resulting vapour would likely contain mercury and be very unhealthy to inhale. There are safer tests which can be performed to test for mercury vapour emissions.

From what I can see of the close-up, it does not really look CNC to me, as I think I can see higher layers overhanging lower layers, which would require an extremely expensive CNC machine to have sufficient mobility and accessibility to achieve such detail, which would kind of ruin the point of cheap versions, unless they intend to turn out hundreds of thousands of these and other items over time to make such a machine purchase worthwhile.

judy, Crim000 and Houseful like this.
  6. Crim000

Crim000 Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted