Need help with Etching/Engraving

Discussion in 'Art' started by laura9797, Dec 5, 2019.

1. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

Does anyone recognize this artist signature? The initials are MS and the last name seems like Savazoie or something like that. IMG_4763.JPEG IMG_4765.JPEG IMG_4764.JPEG

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

With a title like 'Hampstead Station,' should be a European artist. And name, with umlauts, means Hungarian (most likely) or German.

Debora

Figtree3 and kyratango like this.
  3. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

Yes I googled the title to even try to find an engraving or etching as this is from a small edition

4. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

looks like Sarkösi

5. Frank Luongo

Frank Luongo Active Member

Looks to me like Sarkozi.

6. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    we once had a midget by that name...

lloyd249, laura9797 and kyratango like this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

that's just wrong.....:yuck:

8. architrave

architrave Well-Known Member

Possibly Mátyás Sárközi; not really known as a visual artist, but trained as a book illustrator.

MÁTYÁS SÁRKÖZI (Budapest, 1937), writer, journalist, settled in London towards the end of 1956 as a Hungarian refugee. Within a few weeks after his arrival he became a student of St Martin’s School of Art, studying book-illustration. Later he became employed by the BBC’s Hungarian Section
    http://www.hungarianreview.com/author/matyas_sarkozi

9. I can't really add anything useful. I've probably been doing the same googling as the previous contributors. One additional lead might be the title: "Hampstead Station." You might try contacting the Hampstead School of Art, who run regular print workshops and courses in printmaking and etching. Might s/he be an ex-student/teacher? While completely irrelevant, I must say I rather like the work. It has something of some of de Chirico's etchings about it

10. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I have no trouble seeing this as student, or amateur, work. The lines are very hesitant and lacking in confidence.

Figtree3 likes this.
  11. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Well, if the numbering is correct, you have the original, anyway!:smug:

laura9797 and Figtree3 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted