Featured Need help with gemstone ID for mixed pearl necklace

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by MTswirls, Oct 13, 2019.

1. MTswirls

MTswirls Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to identify the gemstones in this necklace. It looks like a blend of pearls, citrine, and quartz, but I would like some second opinions. Also, if anyone has any tips about recognizing real pearls from fake please share. The pearls are cool to the touch and feel gritty if I run them along the edge of my teeth. They also have imperfections and ripples.

Thank you for the help!

IMG_9220.jpeg IMG_9221.jpeg IMG_9222.jpeg IMG_9223.jpeg IMG_9224.jpeg IMG_9225.jpeg

BMRT, scoutshouse, judy and 1 other person like this.
  2. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Looks relatively new with artificially dyed freshwater pearls, either clear glass beads and / or perhaps some quartz crystal beads, cannot see them well enough to tell, are they a stone or glass? Maybe smoky quartz chunky beads along the edges. Modern clasp. 1990s or later. Just my opinion. :cat:

scoutshouse, MTswirls, judy and 2 others like this.
  3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

There's no reason to think the stone elements are really glass. These tumbled bits of quartz are not expensive. Sizes & shapes so irregular, not worth the work to make in glass, IMO. Off white background making it hard to be sure of colors, but all look like quartz of one sort or another. (Citrine, amethyst & rose quartz are all quartz, as are chalcedony & agate.)

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I'd have trouble calling them ..gemstones...

scoutshouse, MTswirls and judy like this.
  5. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

semi precious gemstones

6. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Yes they do to me too.

costume jewelry

7. MTswirls

Do artificially dyed freshwater pearls have any value at all? There's so many types and grades of pearls. I find it confusing. Thank you for the info.

scoutshouse likes this.
  8. MTswirls

Sorry about the background. It is white, but I took the picture under dim yellow light so it does throw the colors off a bit. Anyways, thanks for the information :happy:

scoutshouse and Bronwen like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Not much.:sorry:

MTswirls, Bronwen and kyratango like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted