Featured Need help with ID/maker on pottery planter

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Jaime Riggs, Jul 15, 2023.

1. Jaime Riggs

Jaime Riggs Well-Known Member

Hello all, very gloomy hot and humid day. Thought I would start researching some pieces. This planter came from an estate that hadn't been touched since the 1930's to 40s. Lots of neat things there, this planter was one. Unmarked. Does it look familiar to anyone? It just has a certain feel to it that makes me feel like it could be Weller or something like that. But reverse image searches and looking through my books haven't helped.

IMG_0809.JPG IMG_0810.JPG IMG_0811.jpg

2. gauntlettgems

gauntlettgems Well-Known Member

Love it but can’t help

Boland and pearlsnblume like this.
  3. Jaime Riggs

Thanks for looking though!

4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Nice pot that I am not familiar with. Does have the glaze and bottom look of Weller. Roseville also made some jards with liners like this.

Figtree3 and *crs* like this.
  5. Jaime Riggs

Thank you, checked my Weller books but nothing similar, I don't have any Roseville books, will have to get one.

Figtree3 likes this.
  6. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Have the books but don't remember seeing this one in them. Weller made a lot of odd-ball pieces so it could be one of theirs.

Figtree3 and *crs* like this.
  7. *crs*

*crs* Hippy Dippy Antiquer

I've been watching this post to see if someone suggested Weller. That was my first thought also but no proof :( Good to know it wasn't just me thinking along those lines

Last edited: Jul 16, 2023
    judy and Figtree3 like this.
  8. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

don't mention size; but looks small enough for an African Violet Pot/Planter (AKA: self-watering AV pot)

9. Jaime Riggs

Could it possibly be a Rosevill Green Matt piece? Boy, the glaze is almost identical, they were mainly planters and jardinieres, and usually unmarked or paper tag. Not many of them, hard to find, mainly floral motifs.

judy likes this.
  10. crowleys

crowleys Well-Known Member

I found it! It's Roseville Ceramic Design - Circa early 1900. P. 87 ROSEVILLE IN ALL ITS SPLENDOR by Jack & Nancy Bomm. These are called Combination Jardinieres. One catalog photo in Matt Green is marked "516 Matt." The text states "This line was, in most cases, heavily decorated with wide rims and legs. All varieties of planters, with or without liners, from several major groups, Persian, Ivory, Matt and Tints were used. These ranged from 3" to 16" and came in a matt to high gloss glaze finish on a variety of jardinieres and planters..." (I seem to be arriving late to the party on IDs, but found it as I was looking for a Roseville Ivory vase.)

11. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

@Jaime Riggs should be happy to see your post, I think!

12. Jaime Riggs

Oh my goodness!!!! I just happened back on here today and saw this! THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!!!

Figtree3 likes this.
  13. Jaime Riggs

I just had a gut feeling it was something special.

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted