Need help with identifying a name on ceramic pottery bowl

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by BuddyC1, May 26, 2023.

1. BuddyC1

BuddyC1 New Member

Hello. New poster here. I purchased this today at a sale as a possible gift for my daughter's godmother and was curious if anyone can identify the maker of this bowl? Does this signature and style look familiar to anyone? Also, what is this type of bowl called? Is it a decorative lidded bowl or some type of serving/food bowl? She is into the southwestern theme and basically rich so I'd like know if it's something she'd be proud to display in her home before giving it to her.... or if it's probably just some random work by an unknown local artist that ended up in the thrift store.

Attached Files:

2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Almost looks like it might say "Tommy Evi?S", but that's a guess.....maybe try putting a little dry cinnamon or flour in the letters to help them stand out........

3. BuddyC1

BuddyC1 New Member

I thought Tommy at first, but now I'm not so sure. That last letter sort of looks like a "w" but that would make for an odd spelling for a name. I might try the flour trick, but please anybody else keep trying to guess this name please.

4. BuddyC1

BuddyC1 New Member

Or maybe I shouldn't say guess so much as hoping someone is familiar with this sig.

5. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

Most likely a studio pottery and not someone well known so even if you find the name it might not get you much more.

6. Aquitaine

I rotated the signature, which also "embossed" the signature....and lightly colored it in with a similar color.......still have no idea.....maybe someone else might....you can download and rotate the images back the other way....maybe it still might ring a bell!!

pottery1-A.jpg

pottery1-B.jpg

Figtree3 and komokwa like this.
  7. BuddyC1

BuddyC1 New Member

Hey thank you so much for your effort there Aquitaine! I still cant make sense of the name though. I mean, anybody's name can have an odd spelling and pronunciation, but the letters I am making out don't make sense for a name. I'm sure I'm just not making out the letter correctly with my eyes.

Aquitaine likes this.
  8. Aquitaine

I don't think most of us can figure it out, so you're NOT alone....:happy::smug:

9. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Hello, @BuddyC1 -- Welcome to Antiquers.

We would have to see a photos of the entire bowl, and also know its size, to try to identify the type of bowl that it is.

I can't help with the sig, except to say that after Aquitaine's clarifications, it looks like there may possibly be an "i" at the end of the first name. Tommi or Tammi? The second letter doesn't look like an "a" to me but it could be.

Bakersgma likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted