Need help with mark on hand painted vase

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by rink28, Jan 4, 2019.

1. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

My friend gave me this today to see if I knew the mark but after going on gotheborg.com I couldn't find the marl on there either. Anyone know the mark? Thanks. 20190104_142603.jpg 20190104_142616.jpg

2. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

There's no mark on the bottom? I think you show an artist mark that wouldn't be on gotheborg.

judy, Christmasjoy and Bakersgma like this.
  3. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

No nothing. Just the mark on the side. So the mark is just by an artist?

judy likes this.
  4. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

No, that would be a maker’s mark. I dunno if .chinese or Japanese, but leaning toward Japanese. It is a prunus pattern — a very popular Asian motif. I suspect that this one is fairly new. It is quite nice, but whether collectible or valuable — your guess is as good as mine.

judy, Figtree3 and komokwa like this.
  5. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Thanks kentworld. My friend gave it to me to see if I knew anything about it but I told her I wasn't really knowledgeable about the markings but I figured I would post it on here. I went on gotheborg under both Chinese and Japanese but couldn't seem to find a match unless I missed something. Itso interesting that the mark is on the side instead of the bottom that's why it peeked my interest. Maybe someone else who knows the marks better than me on here might know more.

judy likes this.
  6. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

7. Silver Wolf

Silver Wolf Well-Known Member

i think it's japanese,by the style of the pattern and the mark

8. Silver Wolf

Silver Wolf Well-Known Member

i'm sorry,doing some little research,this is the mark
    山羊 Shan Yang (chinese ) , 山羊 Yagi (japanese) both of them are meaning mountain goat,this shan yang mark i think it's too ordinary word in porcelain mark so i can't found anymore information about the mark instead i found many are chinese porcelain with goat shape/pattern,and i think i'll correcting my opinion,this is recent chinese vase with modern writting style because it was wrote from left to right even the word using traditional chinese,good luck!

Figtree3, kentworld and dgbjwc like this.
  9. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Thank you silver wolf! I'll let my friend know :) thanks again!

Silver Wolf likes this.
  10. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Great! It is sometimes difficult, especially when one knows nothing about Asian charcters, to discern whether something is Japanese, Chinese or “other!”

Draft saved Draft deleted