Need help with old oil painting..??

Discussion in 'Art' started by CCR, Jun 27, 2014.

1. CCR

CCR New Member

1-venice painting 008.JPG 1-venice painting 011.JPG 1-venice painting 004.JPG I brought this old oil painting in Texas from a lady in her mid 70's who said she got it from her grandmother,the painting is an oil painting which seems to be of Venice,it has a thick layer of paint as I can rub my hand over it and feel the texture. It seems to be gridded in some way as the lines seems to be all over with the exception of the sky. The frame is wood and looks pleated/grooved if thats the proper term for it I cant find a signature anywhere on it except for the name Chanel printed on the bottom of te canvas,the canvas itself seems very old as I can tell from the back..anyone have a clue??..Im having problems uploading images they are to big so put up thumbnails..Thanks for any responses.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

It is in a modernist style popular in the 60's or so. Frame looks to be about 1970 so I think we are in the ballpark there. Without a signature, there is not much more to tell. Probably a tourist or decorative painting. A lot of this kind of thing was coming out of Italy in this time frame.

3. CCR

CCR New Member

Thank you,the only name is printed on the bottom folder over seam of the canvas it says CHANEL..I assume it could have been someone who as you say painted it for tourist trade...appreciate you..regards

4. CCR

CCR New Member

Hello again folks..its obvious I am new to this so I am seeking to be educated,here I have a framed collection of 5 Historic certified coins recovered from various ships dating back hundreds of years,a few centuries in fact..they are professionally mounted and all certificates of Authenticity are present..the coins are (1) Hollandia Ducaton 1743 (2) Spanish Fleet half Real 1745 (3) Bredenhof Dutch Doit 1753 (4) Admiral Gardner Copper Coin 1809 (5) Jung Dynasty Coin Circa 1250 AD. The unit also comes with a brief history of each ship that carried each coin, I am looking for a determination of some value since there were only a limited amounts of coins that could have been both recovered and or disburse out. I would appreciate any information I can get other then what I have found on the web..thanks again to all.

Attached Files:

5. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

CCR, I believe the adminstrator of this board also runs another site about coins. There are some here who know about them, but I'll see if I can find one of the posts about how to get to the coins board where there would be more people to help.

komokwa likes this.
  6. Figtree3

CCR, I found the site: cointalk.com

https://www.cointalk.com/forums/

This appears to be a heavily used site... there are currently 23 members logged in, and 81 guests!

Fig

7. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
  8. CCR

CCR New Member

thanks will follow up...well appreciated

9. Penny Davis

Penny Davis New Member

I have a painting in the similar genre as yours signed by Balero.

10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

All that mounting , and writing , and certificating, and framing.....is likely worth more than all the coins put together.

11. Penny Davis

Penny Davis New Member

I have this painting signed by Balero that was purchased at a garage sale. There is no frame, and the back has a sticker on it showing that it was registered in Spain. It's not on canvas, it's on a linen type cloth. Does anyone have any idea who this artist may be?

12. komokwa

Name of the work: Canal
    Artist: A. Balero
    Nationality: Spanish [feminine]
    Date and Place of birth: 5/30/1920 Cadiz
    Studied at: Escuela Superior de [de Bellas Artes] de Sevilla
    Awards: Spanish-American Scholarship 1939

aaaa.jpg

If your label looks like this......

13. Penny Davis

Penny Davis New Member

yes it looks like that, but it's number 090781 and it's titled Street in Paris

14. komokwa

Well then......same artist.....& that's all I got !! :sorry:

15. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I've been to Cadiz. Wait, that's totally ADHD off subject. :wacky:

16. Penny Davis

Penny Davis New Member

I'm still trying to find out anything about A. Balero. My painting is on a linen fabric and has been nailed onto a frame with a sticker on the back. Fascinating painting

i need help likes this.
  17. Figtree3

Hi, @Penny Davis -- If you start a new discussion thread with pictures of your painting, maybe it will elicit more replies. Looking forward to seeing it!

18. Lynn McElhaney

Lynn McElhaney New Member

I have the Street in Paris number 90981. Would love to know how old it is. My parent got it in the 60s I think.

19. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

20. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted