Need help with Royal Kent bone china

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by JJ_Jimbo, Nov 22, 2015.

1. JJ_Jimbo

JJ_Jimbo New Member

hi all. i was hoping some one could help me out... i have a bone china tea set, which was given to my mother on her wedding day over 30 years ago. its believed to be a fair bit older than that too!! i have searched the web for pictures/answers to how old it is and maybe the name of the design but to no avail. the tea set is 6 cups, with matching saucers and tea plates. its a Royal Kent set with small blue flowers on the side and a gold rim to each of the pieces. ill see if i can upload some photos to make it a bit easier.

id just like to find out what it is as we know nothing about it and cant find any info.

thanks

Jim

2. JJ_Jimbo

JJ_Jimbo New Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
  3. TheOLdGuy

TheOLdGuy Well-Known Member

HI, Jim. Hopefully someone will come along with a better answer. What complicates your question is that there are probably 100 or more patterns of Royal Kent. If no answer soon you may get help from Replacements.com. If someone is looking to add to their set Replacements will put them on a waiting list to be notified when, and if, it comes into stock. They do have a huge database on such items and will help you identify the pattern if you send them a picture.
    If you're looking for value you might check eBay and or Etsy for current and sold listings with similar patterns. Prices won't vary much on different patterns.
    Best of luck in your search.

4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

The flowers are forget me nots. From the backstamp, I'd say it was a brand new set.

5. TheOLdGuy

HI, Bear. I'm not good at IDing flowers (among several hundred other things) but did use that and found several "forget me not" by Royal Kent, but not the same. This one has very few flowers in comparison. And Jim says it's at least 30 years old.

Is there a book or website with just Staffordshire china? None I know of. I bought a few of Replacements books but not on chinaware.

6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Sorry, I meant it was new at the time! ;)

I don't know of a definitive tome on Staffs china: the probelm is that there were literally thousands of factories.

JJ_Jimbo and Ladybranch like this.
  7. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

I found a mark that says Royal Albert on the bottom, so maybe Royal Kent was a trade name. Scroll down to Trentside. http://www.royalalbertpatterns.com/a to z pages/rapgt.htm
    Royal Albert was a pottery of Albert Meakin, I think, and they were bought out by Royal Doulton. These potteries were complicated. Just saying you might look under more than one name (and still not find it).

Ladybranch likes this.
  8. janetpjohn

I think I meant Alfred Meakin.

9. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

I certainly
    I certainly agree on more than 1 name. According to that site Royal Kent was bought out by Royal Doulton in 1970s. As your parents were married 30 years ago, c1995, that was a good 20 to 25 years after Royal Kent became part of Royal Doulton. Do look for this pattern under Royal Doulton, Royal Albert, Alfred Meakin, etc. If you find a name for it, do count yourself lucky for there were a multitude a patterned bone china tea cups, etc... done in the latter half of the 20th century. It was quite a fad to collect bone china cups & saucers and display them.

On the replacements.com website here are links to the patterns of some of these names.
    Royal Doulton 37 pages:http://replacements.com/china/RD.htm
    Royal Albert 14 pages: http://replacements.com/china/ROA.htm
    Royal Kent: http://replacements.com/china/ROK.htm
    Alfred Meakins 11 pages: http://replacements.com/china/MEA.htm

--- Susan

10. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

30 years ago was 1985, wasn't it?

yourturntoloveit and Ladybranch like this.
  11. desperate_fun

desperate_fun Irregular Member

Nobody said there was going to be math ;)

12. janetpjohn

Yes, 30 years ago was 1985, but Jim doesn't think it was new when they got it.

13. TheOLdGuy

Jim, where did the name Royal Albert appear? Under the cups? Or under ONE of the cups? You have mentioned that they might not have been brand new when your mother received them. But they are all the same pattern, correct? Quite possible that they were made at different times. I don't think you will find such as Kent and Albert on the same piece.

Normally the pattern name is identified by the decoration, not the shape of the pieces. But that varied.

How many cups and saucers do you have? All the same shapes and decoration or different ones.

If you are referring to C&S collections that hobby has declined quite a bit in the past 10 - 20 years.

I normally would not do this but I'll give you the results of an experiment I did with a very small part of a collection in my space in an antique shop..

Sold 2 at full price. Half-price sale note put on all C&S Sept. 2012 and sold 12.

TC411 Noritake Demitasse. 1911- 1921. $40. Ref. Inside

????? Sold and not marked such

$35.00 Royal Chelsea, England This mark used 1951 – 61 Inv. # TC18 Sold 10/13 $17.51

$35.00 Paragon China Ltd. By appointment Queen Mary & Elizabeth. English Reg. Inv. # TC12 Sold 12/12 half price $17.50

$25.00 Hand Painted Gold China UCG Japan Made 1946 - 1952. Inv. # TC12 Sold Dec. 2012 $12.50 half price.

$35.00 Royal Albert, subsidiary of Royal Doulton, England. Senorita. Inv. # TC13 Sold Oct 2012 $17.50

$35.00 Aynsley - England Fruit and Berries Inv. # TC14 Sold Oct. 2012 $17.50

$25.00 Colclough China, Langton, England Estimate 1960 – 62 Inv. # TC15 Sold ½ price sale $12.50 Oct 2014

$25.00 Colclough China by Ridgway Potteries Langton, Staffordshire, England. Inv. # TC17 Sold ½ price sale $12.50 Oct 2014

$25.00 Clare China Co, LTD – at Staffordshire Potteries Mark used 1951 to? Inv. # TC19 Sold Oct. 2012 $16.62

Inv. # TC111 $25.00 Hand Painted Gold China Japan Made 1946 - 1952.

SOLD 12/10 $25

Inv. # TC16 $35.00 Rosina China, LTD. Staffordshire, Langton, England. SOLD 1/11 $19.00???

Inv. # TC110 $25.00 Clare China Co, LTD – at Staffordshire Potteries Mark used 1951 to? SOLD 1/11 $28.50???

TC10101????? C&S sold Aug. 2915 $11.87???

U167 Inv.# TC1211 $95.00 Sold Jan 2013 at half price = $55.00

Rare. Shelley TeaCup and Saucer – CountrySide pattern.

Made in England - Ripon with Gold Trim. Chintz. 1946 to 66.

Most recent sale of identical was Euro – just over $100.

InventoryCheckFeb2014

Cups and Saucers – Sold 3. Put ½ price sale on Sept 2012 and sold 12 as of Feb. 2015

Sold 2 at full price.

TC411 Noritake Demitasse. 1911- 1921. $40. Ref. Inside ????? Sold and not marked such

NOT SOLD #TC11 $25.00 Adling China - Hand painted 1946 to 1952 – Japan

I guess it’s really this one. TC10101????? C&S sold Aug. 2915 $11.87???

Do some more scrolling for that specific pattern under each separate name THAT IS ON THE PIECES. Not one that is related on the web.

Keep us updated on what you find and we'll do the same.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
  14. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

True, janet. Although he only described the age as "a fair bit" older than when the set was received. So keeping in mind that receipt was in 1985 (as opposed to 1995) gives a starting point to work back from for a "reasonableness" test so to speak.

15. Ladybranch

I stand corrected, but for my excuse, I never said math was my "high point!" :oops: Thank you, Baker, for picking up on my error!

"Receipt?" I missed that. Does the OP actually have the store receipt for the purchase of the tea set? Seems a bit odd, gaffe/faux pas to say the least, for the receipt to be included with a wedding gift.

--- Susan

16. janetpjohn

Receipt as in "the receiving of" something, not a sales ticket. Good one.

17. Ladybranch

Ooops, my error! I think you meant "receipt" to mean that his parents were "in receipt" of the tea set in c1985.

--- Susan

18. Ladybranch

Janet, I was writing as you were posting!

--- Susan

19. JJ_Jimbo

JJ_Jimbo New Member

Thanks for the info on the flowers, i think they were 2nd hand when they were given to my mother on her wedding day. All of the pieces have royal kent on the bottom. I have 6 cups, 6 saucers and 6 small tea plates all with exactly the same design and shape. Its interesting to know that royal kent were bought out by doulton. We've searched high and low on the web, and i know my mum has searched for a few years on and off to try and find out some info on the set. The only difference in the stamp is the letter one side and the number the other. Im guessing these are batch numbers.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
  20. Angela C

Angela C New Member

Draft saved Draft deleted