Need Help With Russian Samovar?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Mellie, Oct 10, 2023.

1. Mellie

Mellie New Member

sam1.jpg sammarkings.jpg I recently bought this item at a rummage sale simply because the design intrigued me. I did not know what it was. After a little bit of research, I believe that it is a Russian Samovar. Can someone help with the identity and worth? I am adding a few pictures.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2023
    cxgirl and judy like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

well, it's missing pieces....so unless it's silver..... low value

judy likes this.
  3. Mellie

Mellie New Member

It's not silver, but it's a heavy metal.

judy likes this.
  4. Mellie

Mellie New Member

thank you for responding.

cxgirl, komokwa and judy like this.
  5. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Hi, @Mellie -- The translation of the abbreviated words on the mark led me to the full words. This was made by the Shemarin brothers factory in Tula, Russia. Tula was well known as a manufacturing city for samovars. I know that here on Antiquers we've discussed samovars in the past. I thought we'd found some information about those brothers. Currently I find a lot of Shemarin samovars for sale on the web but haven't found the information about the brothers. [Sentence deleted.]

Added: I just looked on the site, and it was a different set of brothers we were discussing. The Batashevs. So I'm not sure when the Shemarin brothers were in business.

cxgirl likes this.
  6. Mellie

Mellie New Member

Thank you for this information! I read somewhere that Tula steel samovar's were available beginning in the second half of the 19th century. I'll keep digging. Thanks again for responding!

Figtree3 and cxgirl like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted