Featured Need help with signature on earrings

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Joan, Dec 28, 2022.

1. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

I’m about ready to give up on finding information on who made two pair of earrings that I bought at two different Savers thrift stores 15-20 years ago. They both seem to have the same signature, which looks like Talia, Tatra, Talra, Tabu, Talu, ???

I searched numerous variations of the signature online and found earrings identical to the silver/silvertone pair, (3rd photo), with text below the photo stating "Vintage French Studio...ebay.com," but the earrings are no longer shown on eBay. Is anyone familiar with this signature (last photo)?

SilverCitrineEarrings-1.jpg SilverCitrineEarrings-2.jpg SilverCitrineEarrings-3.jpg SilverCitrineEarrings-5.jpg SilverCitrineEarrings-6.jpg SilverCitrineEarrings-7.jpg

Last edited: Dec 28, 2022
  2. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Very nice earrings! :)

I found three additional pairs that seem to be the same maker, same signature. But none of the listings had any info about the maker at first glance.

You can see them on Worthpoint. I had the idea to search Worthpoint (I'm not a member, but you can still "search".) Opened the Worthpoint website and typed: "Earrings Talu" into the search bar.

You'll see three more pairs there if helpful.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2022
    Figtree3, pearlsnblume, judy and 3 others like this.
  3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

It looks like Tatia to me.

4. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

Thank you so much, Lucille and Bronwen--I never think to look on Worthpoint, but will be sure to check it now and then and maybe find more information eventually. Since I found the silver earrings using "Talu" and the sellers on Worthpoint used that name, it seems that might be the correct name. However, Bronwen you could be right that the signature is actually "Tatia" since it's possible the person(s) selling the similar earrings may have arbitrarily decided to use "Talu" but had no proof that's the correct name. I also found a jewelry website, "Talu Rock n Gold" based in Greece, but they only make gold jewelry -- nothing like my earrings. I haven't found any information about Tatia as a jewelry designer.

5. quirkygirl

quirkygirl likes pretty old things

It's Tabra

Lucky you!

Figtree3, Lucille.b, Joan and 11 others like this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

7. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Personally, I don't think THIS signature looks that close to the signatures I looked at on ebay and I looked at either 4 or 5 of them! But that IS JMHO! Am tending to agree more with @Bronwen....OTOH, they ARE VERY NICE earrings!!!

SilverCitrineEarrings-6-B-HALF-2_00x.jpg

Lucille.b, Joan, pearlsnblume and 2 others like this.
  9. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

No reason they would look close. The OP's signature was done with a junky
    "engraving" pen,the Ebay sig was done with a professionally made stamp.

Lucille.b, Joan, pearlsnblume and 2 others like this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Nice find, Joan.
    While searching I saw both engraved and stamped Tabra marks. Maybe the engraved ones are older?

11. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

Thank you so much quirkygirl....curious, are you familiar with the brand, or did you do a lot of searching to find Tabra? I found a pair of earrings exactly like mine on eBay with the black stone that sold for $134.95. The description says, "The carved onyx stones are set in sterling silver and accented with bronze....14K posts..." I also saw others that had elements similar to my silver earrings. I need to polish both pairs. The Tabra earrings that seem to do the best have lots of dangles.

bercrystal, Lucille.b and Any Jewelry like this.
  12. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

Thank you so much, Debora. I learned from Tabra's website that she started her jewelry business in 1983 in California, but moved her "life and business" to Bali, Indonesia 10 years ago. My earrings would have been made in California since I bought them more than 10 years ago.

Lucille.b and Any Jewelry like this.
  13. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

Thank you for searching, AJ, I think you are correct. The engraved signatures were probably done before Tabra moved her business to Indonesia.

Lucille.b and Any Jewelry like this.
  14. quirkygirl

quirkygirl likes pretty old things

You're very welcome, @Joan. Happy to be able to help.

I fell in love with Tabra jewelry back in the early 90's so no searching to find the siggy was necessary. Bought a cousin to your carved onyx pair back in 1994 that is one of my favorites. Not my photo, but this is the style.
    [​IMG]

15. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

Your earrings are really attractive. I'm definitely going to look more carefully for Tabra earrings when searching through jewelry in thrift stores even though the chances of finding another pair are slim to none. But since the sterling earrings aren't marked (at least the early ones), they're likely to be overlooked by the people who price jewelry.

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted