Need help with some early silver marks

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Salvatorparadise, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Salvatorparadise

Salvatorparadise Active Member

Hey everybody. I purchased a very large collection of various silver pieces today that included some early American colonial pieces. I have managed to decipher all hallmarks except these. Not English of course. The JD I suppose could be American but they didn't use a lot of pictoral marks, just usually a name or letters. So not sure...It is early though probably 18th c.

The other marks appear to be European, maybe Hannau but I can't tell. This piece is also quite early, probably 18th c. Any ideas? Both are large-ish spoons.
    Thanks again!

IMG_4337.jpg IMG_4333.jpg IMG_4334.jpg IMG_4336.jpg IMG_4337.jpg IMG_4333.jpg IMG_4334.jpg IMG_4336.jpg

Christmasjoy and Figtree3 like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Adrian!!! How's it going? Still running auctions?

That is one weird batch of marks.

3. Bakersgma

That second has to be Hanau. Trying to be a little Dutch, a little old French and god knows what else. Who? Your guess is as good as mine.

The first may be from there too. Those pictorials aren't the least bit like what American Colonial maker's used. At least not any I've seen.

4. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

This one is a Paris mark, looks like the 1787 one:
    upload_2017-8-5_13-28-51.jpeg
    upload_2017-8-5_13-29-26.jpeg

7. Bakersgma

That's what I was aiming at, AJ, when I said "a little French." The marks on either side of that one confused the heck out of me. Too darned hot last night to spend much time in front of the computer. ;)

8. Bakersgma

What book is that last part from, Anund? Looks like a much better source than the one on early American makers than my copy of Thorn (which I already knew has some "problems.")

9. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

10. Bakersgma

11. Salvatorparadise

hey everyone, thanks for the feedback. much appreciated! We just moved and I have not yet unpacked my massive book collection. I have a few good books on silver. Not doing auctions anymore. Got a little burned out on selling other people's things, and on working so many hours running my own business full time. I do business consulting for the Columbus Chamber of Commerce now and buy and sell an awful lot of antiques the rest of the time.

Love finding stuff! Two highlights from this load are spoons by Benjamin Burt (Boston, c. 1770) and by Daniel Boyer (Boston, c. 1760). Also a liquor tray and set from Moscow c. 1900, a commemorative trowel from England, aan early sauce ladle and more. I love big old lots of silver!!!

12. Salvatorparadise

Also some early hallmarked tongs with only the Lion passant and maker letters of IS

13. Salvatorparadise

14. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

That mouse is too cute!!! :happy::happy: What kind of hallmarks does he have on him?

I understand how you can get burnt out being an auctioneer & running your own business. I am definitely on the outskirts of being involved in the one here in Columbia, but can see that if you are successful it is like the post office the stuff never stops. Also dealing with the people or families that consign the stuff can make you absolutely lose your religion very easily. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Glad to hear you are having more fun nowadays. :joyful::joyful::joyful:

15. Salvatorparadise

thanks! it's still a lot of fun. More relaxed now! And I get lots more time to spend with my family. I have a daughter now. That affected my thinking a lot, too. Found that I simply could not be a good dad and run the biz 80-100 hours a week...

16. Bakersgma

Good man, Adrian!

17. Salvatorparadise

my greatest treasure nowadays IMG_4179.JPG

18. Salvatorparadise

also, the mouse is "made in spain/sterling"

19. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

She is absolutely adorable & somehow I know she has Daddy wrapped around that little pinky of hers. :happy::happy:

20. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I agree about the top treasure, the one on the swing. She looks about the right size to start helping daddy pick; she can scoot right under those tables and see what's underneath!

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted