Need help with this chair???

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Remi Doucet, Oct 6, 2019.

1. Remi Doucet

Remi Doucet Rover

15704035221467223916248897566249.jpg 1570403558498877603279044412247.jpg 15704035997282796931881217864392.jpg I have this antique chair that has a carved anchor upside down??? And has metal supports under the chair and on the sides of the arm rests. I looked at similar pictures. But this one seems to be rare. The anchor is in the middle of the seat.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
    Christmasjoy likes this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Greetings, Remi. We'll need pictures of the overall chair and the metal details you mentioned in order to help you. Are you having difficulty posting some?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  3. Remi Doucet

Remi Doucet Rover

Yes sorry. I'm a new user and I had a problem with the picture limit. I'm trying to figure it out.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  4. Bakersgma

The size limit?

Are using your phone to take the pictures?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. Remi Doucet

Remi Doucet Rover

Here is a picute I hope. 15704031646302726116006421275483.jpg

6. Bakersgma

Success! Now that I see the "upside down anchor" I am not so certain that an anchor is what it is. Could easily be a capital letter T as well. Kind of an odd place for it to appear as well.

Someone who knows more about chair names and ages than I will be along.

@verybrad

Christmasjoy likes this.
  7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Barrel back tavern chair. Not particularly old with that multi-board seat. Looks like ash. Really don't think the metal bars are original. The symbol on the seat is odd. Some kind of ownership mark? Could see these in multiples as restaurant chairs.

8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

metal support....tavern for sure
    just look at the wear......early sports bar wear...:playful::playful::playful:

9. Remi Doucet

Remi Doucet Rover

Thanks everyone. I thought I had something really old and rare. So its probably not worth that much.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  10. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Please someone correct me if I am wrong but . . . isn't that "style" of chair sometimes(?) called a "Captain's Chair"?

Christmasjoy, komokwa and Aquitaine like this.
  11. Remi Doucet

Remi Doucet Rover

12. yourturntoloveit

13. Remi Doucet

Remi Doucet Rover

Ive been looking for answers looking at pictures. I saw one sold at auction called railway chair, another one called captains chair and a steamed molded chair??? So I really don't know.

14. Remi Doucet

Remi Doucet Rover

I already looked at every one. But for some reason. There always seems to have a diffirence in the definition and the chair I own. Like captain chair from what I could pick up. ( I'm looking for the proper words for my next explanation. Sorry but Im a rookie.)They had no separation between the smaller top part and the main back rest.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  15. yourturntoloveit

Remi Doucet, other people will be along I am sure to help you with your chair.

I will say that you probably can't go wrong with what verybrad told you in Post #7 above.

16. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

When the "newer" or repro "captain's chairs" were being made, I think the manufacturers frequently had their own slight 'modifications' or renditions of what they were making, as if you look in enough furniture shops, I think you will see enough different "takes" on them......that's just MY take on it.....and I'm NOT stickin' to it!!:):):):) I would also add that @verybrad & @komokwa pretty well nailed it!

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
  17. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

In practical usage, any dining chair with arms is considered a captain's chair. As far as a historical definition of the term, it may have referred to a particular type of armed chair. I don't really know.

18. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

In that definition it says
    First Known Use of captain's chair
    1946, in the meaning defined above

So that term is relatively recent, they are often called "fireman" or "firehouse" chairs as well because you see them often in that setting.
    What they really are is "low back windsor", been around since the 18th century, furniture forms get nicknames over the years usually as a marketing campaign.
    Here is a quick guide to windsors & original names
    http://www.antiquesandfineart.com/articles/article.cfm?request=199

19. alex webb

alex webb Well-Known Member

might also called a smokers bow chair
    [​IMG]

20. Remi Doucet

Remi Doucet Rover

I'm just getting started. There will be more when I learn more about this forum and how navigate trough the menu. Lol
    Thanks...Its similar for sure. It could be that mine is older. Mine as differences in the top part, the legs ansd the arm rest.

Draft saved Draft deleted