need help with this watercolor drawing name.

Discussion in 'Art' started by Jrfinds, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Jrfinds

Jrfinds Member

I have this drawing on old paper what look like a watercolor over pencil sign J.A. May 1831, i would like to know if someone knows about the sign name ? I look on Google can't seem to find.

Attached Files:

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

With only initials, you could be looking forever and still not find it. It's in the style of "botanical illustrations" of the period. Small branch of a fruit tree in bloom. Seems very odd to me that the leaves at the top on side were cut off by the framing. If it were mine, I would remove it from the frame to get a better idea of what it really is. The work is almost too fine for a pencil and watercolor drawing, IMHO.

By the way, where is the signature and date you posted? Where on the page?

Jrfinds likes this.
  3. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Sig and date are on the stem.

Bakersgma likes this.
  4. Bakersgma

If you hadn't said, Houseful, I would never have seen it. Had to make the picture much larger to even remotely see it. :eek:

5. Houseful

Took me a while too!

Bakersgma likes this.
  6. Jrfinds

Jrfinds Member

Thank you, The drawing is old and think it was damage and someone cut it down , I Think ! Someone told me it may be James Andrews botanical artist ? I need to know if he sign like this ?

7. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

If you click on Full Image your pictures will appear here in the post instead of tiny links. IMG_0046.jpg

Jrfinds likes this.
  8. Houseful

It could be James Andrews looking at the subject and style. I don’t think your photo is sharp and the background looks rather yellow so it may not be an accurate representation? It’s a very nice painting, pity it’s been cropped and there’s a bit of foxing.

Jrfinds and Bakersgma like this.
  9. Bakersgma

I wonder whether this might have been included in Andrews Lessons on Painting Flowers (a 6 volume set, published in 1835?)

So much of his work was published in folios and books, it's hard to know whether this is really an original or simply an old print or book leaf. I did see at least one showing his J A signature (which is very much like the JA on the stem in this one, except that it was not included in the same way, but was separate from the actual floral material.)

Ihaveolditems likes this.
  10. Jrfinds

Jrfinds Member

The drawing is old and think it was damage and someone cut it down , I Think ! Someone told me it may be James Andrews botanical artist ? I need to know if he sign like this ?

11. Jrfinds

Jrfinds Member

IMG_0046.JPG

12. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

13. Jrfinds

Jrfinds Member

Here a better photo of this drawing if is real do you think i should have look at to see if it have a value ?

14. Jrfinds

Jrfinds Member

Draft saved Draft deleted