Need Help

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Ralph Hansen, Oct 15, 2020.

1. Ralph Hansen

Ralph Hansen New Member

Chandelier3.jpg Chandelier2.jpg Chandelier.jpg I bought a house with a beautiful chandelier and was wondering if someone can help me identify it and if it is an antique. I love it and want to know more about it and also parts.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I'd guess Venetian.

sabre123 likes this.
  3. Ralph Hansen

Ralph Hansen New Member

I have been googling for hours and it almost comes in the area of murano venetian chandelier but not sure. it has gas valves on it like it use to be gas. It seems old and trying to get a better idea.

4. Ralph Hansen

Ralph Hansen New Member

I have been googling for hours and it almost comes in the area of murano venetian chandelier but not sure. it has gas valves on it like it use to be gas. It seems old and trying to get a better idea.

5. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Would you mind reaching out over that railing and risking your life to get a picture of the gas valves? lol. Just kidding, of course.

Fid and samuelcaulfield1 like this.
  6. Ralph Hansen

Ralph Hansen New Member

I would if I were home and will tonight. If you zoom in on the picture you can see it.

7. Ralph Hansen

Ralph Hansen New Member

How can you tell the age or possible how old it is.

8. sabre123

Not to the resolution that I want to see it.

Is there brass tubing throughout, or are the arms just crystal with wiring? You obviously can't run gas through crystal tubing.

9. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

They make stuff like that today. They made stuff like that a hundred years ago and even earlier. I don't know how to tell. Can't even be sure it's Venetian. Just seems likely.

10. Ralph Hansen

Ralph Hansen New Member

There is brass all the way through.

11. Ralph Hansen

Ralph Hansen New Member

4.jpg
    I am trying to upload more pictures but saying to large.

12. sabre123

13. Ralph Hansen

Ralph Hansen New Member

20201015_165942[1].jpg 2[1].jpg 20201015_165708_03[1].jpg 20201015_165849[1].jpg

Aquitaine, aaroncab, Fid and 2 others like this.
  14. sabre123

Gas valve design seems a bit plain for that style of fixture, but they're definitely working valves. The shades /fitters 'could' have been replaced when it was converted to electric.

I'm thinking that "grapes/floral" pattern on the shades was popular after the turn of the century, but no later than 1920.

Maybe @verybrad can be of more help.

aaroncab likes this.
  15. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Shades are more like 40s-50s. Fitter is older (maybe c. 1920), as are the gas valves (c. 1890). Ceiling medallion is quite old as well. I don't know much about crystal chandeliers other than most are Italian and virtually unchanged for decades. How old is the house this is in? Could it be original to the house?

Ralph Hansen, sabre123 and aaroncab like this.
  16. sabre123

You'd have to be pretty determined to light a gas fixture in a two-story foyer...

17. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It would be greatly improved by new shades.

Debora

18. Ralph Hansen

Ralph Hansen New Member

The house was built in 1965. The owner son that we had bought it from said the chandelier was purchased and mom told the husband to build the house around it. So it has been hard to determine how old it is or if we take it down does it have a value where we should keep it.

19. Ralph Hansen

Ralph Hansen New Member

It was purchased before the house was built. The wife said she wanted the house built around the chandelier.

sabre123 likes this.
  20. sabre123

hahaha

Draft saved Draft deleted