Need name of original painting and artist--this is a copy of an earlier painting.

Discussion in 'Art' started by Luis123456, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Luis123456

Luis123456 New Member

Exactly. Judd doesn't exist. The paintings sell though. I wish I could find the original painting. I did notice that there are tons of Parisian street scenes. This one is particularly well done.

2. mmarco102

mmarco102 Well-Known Member

Just curious Luis, did you take a good look at @Jivvy image posted. Highly detailed and looking like an original by a true artist. Perhaps an art school had student repaint the original by Louis Marie de Schryver, and that is why you can not find any info on Judd(a student). Imo

3. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

"Judd Gallet" was quite prolific. Lots of listings for paintings for sale. And some of the sellers took it upon themselves to say he or she was "20th century" and "American." The signature among the online listings I saw usually was consistent in appearance.

Meanwhile, I'm sorry that the original painting hasn't been located. But an interesting discussion thread nonetheless!

Luis123456 and i need help like this.
  4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I think the image Jivvy found is the original. OP's is a greatly simplified rendition.

Figtree3 likes this.
  5. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I see what you mean -- but there are a quite a few differences in the details. Perhaps "inspired by" the one Jivvy found. The similarities I see are mainly the flower seller being on the left side, and the way the building view looks down the street. Even the buildings are different, and the angle of the way they disappear down the street.

moreotherstuff likes this.
  6. Luis123456

Luis123456 New Member

I did see it--and it's the closest look to the one I have. Y'all are so helpful!

mmarco102 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted