Featured Need some glass compote help - Irish or Scottish or ? Older.

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by patd8643, Feb 28, 2021.

1. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

What I know: have had this probably 50+ years and came from MIL. One side is etched O'B and the other has an arm holding a dagger coming out of water - some family coat of arms?
    It is 8 108" tall, 9 1/8" in top diameter and foot is 5 1/4" in diameter with a radiating star. It is not bright & shiny but has the look of older glass.
    Any help or leads would be appreciated. Profile 1.JPG Stem 1.JPG Arm 2.JPG Mono 1.JPG Mono 2.JPG In 1.JPG Bot 2.JPG

2. patd8643

And it weighs 4 lbs 4 oz.

judy likes this.
  3. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

I'd say Victorian, British for sure but can't say which part. Coat of arms could be a Scottish family, don't have my books with me ATM but think I looked that one up before and it was Mac or Mc something-or-other - but there again lots of families used the same symbols and with the D'B monogram I guess it ain't the Mac lot.

I guess O'B makes more sense than DB:bored::smuggrin:

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
    judy and i need help like this.
  4. patd8643

I think you are right Blooey. Here is a little history on the clan symbol:
    https://www.radford.edu/festival/pages/morrison.html

I wonder who made it and when and where?

judy likes this.
  5. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

6. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

judy likes this.
  7. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Not sure I'd go with Morrison as the "castle" isn't there, more likely this is an Irish family, like O' Brien or something and possibly the piece is Irish?

8. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

The design and monogram look cut to me, not etched. They are frosted because they were left unpolished. JMHO.

9. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

The glass is mid 19th century British. The style is very much in the Stourbridge/Birmingham type, that waisted cut hollow stem was a favourite of the Richardsons glass factory. The engraving looks to have been done on the copper wheel, the quality doesn't quite match the glass so was likely done outside the factory. It was of course common to have your items engraved during this time period if you were a family of note.

10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

irish family, British glass. As was very common.

patd8643, i need help and judy like this.
  11. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

12. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Museums get things wrong all the time.

13. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

They do indeed. If I can unearth my copy of Hajdamach, I'll see if there's a match.

14. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

Yes! Copper-wheel engraving. Devilishly difficult to do.

i need help and Figtree3 like this.
  15. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

FWIW, the symbol looks like an arm rising from clouds, with the hand holding a dagger. Doesn't look like water to me...

Fid and i need help like this.
  16. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

These are from Fairbairn's Crests. The description on the various O'BRIEN spellings sounds about right though the plates are a little off, note the way the sword is held. Anyway, for what it's worth.
    IMG_20210301_125110.jpg IMG_20210301_125245.jpg IMG_20210301_125328.jpg

patd8643, SBSVC, Figtree3 and 2 others like this.
  17. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

I agree. normally a dagger or sword out of a could indicate godly justice and so it could be either from a bishop or another clergy family.

i need help, patd8643 and Figtree3 like this.
  18. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Now that is interesting, as the only thing I thought looked out of place was the rim as it's not usually what you see from Stourbridge, and I did wonder if it had been recut to hide chips. If your link is correct then it's a direct copy of the Richardsons form.

Figtree3 likes this.
  19. patd8643

You all are so good!
    SIS, seems to have hit it after Figtree suggested a cloud. Don't know why I thought it was water.
    Still searching for a maker and am trying to follow some of the suggestions.
    Thank you for your help everyone.

Figtree3 and i need help like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted