Featured Need some help, do you know what is this?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by gto00, Mar 4, 2021.

1. gto00

gto00 New Member

Hi, i have this "thing" since i was i kid, but i don't know anything about this, i never found out.
    The only thing i know (but i'm not 100% sure) is that it is an ancient photographic plate.
    The image is three-dimensional and can only be seen by focusing the light on the plate.
    Have you ever seen something like this?

photo_2021-03-04_10-14-28.jpg photo_2021-03-04_10-14-33.jpg photo_2021-03-04_10-14-30.jpg

2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

A magic lantern slide, possibly.

Darkwing Manor and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

If it looks really 3D and shifts as you turn the plate... Hologram.

komokwa, Houseful and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  4. Ownedbybear

Not that old, if it is. It might be a sulphide technique.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  5. gto00

gto00 New Member

Thanks for the answers :)

I looked about magic lanterns but read that the images were mostly drawn imaginary scenes or photos.

The image in question looks like a hologram, as moreotherstuff says. Turning the plate, you can notice the shadow movement.
    It almost seems that the object is "trapped" inside the plate.

Can you tell me please something more about it? Or a tip on what to look for.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  6. Ownedbybear

A sulphide will look more solid, and not change as you turn the plate. Holograms change.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  7. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

8. April07

April07 Well-Known Member

That reminded me of a museum in Kyiv that has a collection of holograms of its key objects (jewellery). This also looks like it could be done to represent some collection

Darkwing Manor and Houseful like this.
  9. gto00

gto00 New Member

Thanks everybody for the enlightening answers.

I looked for this museum and i found some very similar hologram photos, they look the same type.

I think this is a good starting point to find out something else!

kyratango and April07 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted