Featured Need some help from the book sellers here please TIA

Discussion in 'Books' started by pearlsnblume, Sep 30, 2019.

1. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Ok, first thank you for any input
    I have the same book as the link shows.
    Can you tell me if the listing is correct in info regarding which printing this is? I am very confused by all the dates and such and the info on the seller's listing I know the price may be high but I am only really interested in knowing if their information is correct or not and if not what is it? Oy vey.

Thanks for any help. This listing is NOT mine, just for reference.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Betty-croc...rentrq:831d97c816d0acc6c21cded0ff82672e|iid:1

Bronwen, Figtree3 and judy like this.
  2. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Seems like the seller is confused ..looks like this is the 1979 Bantam edition.

Bakersgma, Bronwen, judy and 2 others like this.
  3. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Hi, @pearlsnblume -- so yours has exactly the same information as is on the copyright page in the eBay example? It seems self-explanatory, if so. It's a very late printing from 1979. Since the printing information is from the publisher and printed in the book, you can pretty much rely on what it says. Bantam is the paperback publisher of earlier hardbound (I assume) editions. The Literary Guild is a book club. Book clubs republish books by other publishers, for the benefit of club members. I'm not familiar with Golden Press, the original publisher.

Since it's a paperback edition, a late printing, with heavily yellowed/brittle pages and a broken spine (at least this describes the one in the link), I think the value they are putting on it is way too ambitious.

4. pearlsnblume

Hi and thank you both. Yes I have the exact same info Fig.
    I appreciate your input. Yeah, mine is very yellowed too. But I think I am still going to try to sell it at some point at a more reasonable price point. The pie cover books in hardcover do nicely most of the time. I never had the softcover before. For one dollar I can give it a go (that is what I paid)

I mean how many copies of this pie cover BC book do I really need in my apt?:p:p
    Thanks again.

James Conrad, judy and Bronwen like this.
  5. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

1974 edition, 12th printing from 1979. I don't have much knowledge about cookbooks, but I'd have to say that the real value is minimal. Book club editions are usually less than minimal. I can't imagine where the lister got that $ figure.

judy, Bronwen and pearlsnblume like this.
  6. pearlsnblume

Thank you Ghopper. I think they priced it high because the hardcover BC Pie Cover cook books can sell for a good amount depending on condition. Most of them I sold so far have been in the $30 range and are the binder style.
    I guess they are hoping for a good price.
    Thank you!

7. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I found this one they say is from 1974 (one of the early paperback printings). It's in rough shape and still sold for $13 -- more than I would have expected!
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Betty-Crocker-039-s-Cookbook-1974-paperback-A19-/223656051790

If you open the original listing you'll see that it "sold for" that price.

And sorry that I didn't notice that in your original post you mentioned that you knew they were asking a high price, and that wasn't your concern.

I agree with @blooey that the seller in that first link is confused. You can tell that it's 1979 because that is the latest date listed. If it had been published in 1974 they would not have been able to tell when future printings occurred. -- So that is one way you can tell when you read the publication information on a copyright page. Some publishers are not so clear about the dates as this one is.

8. pearlsnblume

Thanks Fig. I appreciate you explaining and for finding a sold listing. That gives me some hope of selling it.

Bronwen and Figtree3 like this.
  9. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

10. pearlsnblume

Thank you 2many!

2manybooks likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted