Featured Need some help with ID...RS Prussia?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by kentworld, Jan 23, 2016.

1. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Trying to help a friend and she sent me one photo. I have requested a photo of the base if she can get me one. I'm wondering if the covered sugar and chocolate/hot water pot (?) is RS Prussia or Japanese. I love the moulded flowers. I think the creamer and sugar with the Ruffles edges may be Japanese, but again, I dunno. Help, please, if you can!

image.jpeg

Pat P, quirkygirl, cxgirl and 2 others like this.
  2. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

I like the sugar and hot water (I think) - none of them make me think Japanese, I would have thought Germany or maybe Austria.

kentworld and clutteredcloset49 like this.
  3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I agree, I don't think Japanese either.

Why do you think that is a sugar? I would have thought biscuit. Really stunning.

Is she selling or buying?
    I would want a closer look at the Jasperware piece.

cxgirl likes this.
  4. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Wendy, I have a RS Prussia book at the store, I'll go through it tomorrow to see if the shapes are in it.
    Cluttered, I believe sugar bowls used to be quite large, especially compared to sets we have now.

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  5. clutteredcloset49

CX -
    Yes they were. Most sugars hold about 1C. Older sugars held about 2C. This one seems so much bigger, but it might be the angle of the camera.

6. clutteredcloset49

That is a chocolate pot yet the jar goes over halfway up. To me it looks too big for a sugar.

7. kentworld

I don't have dimensions unfortunately. Thanks for looking up RS Prussia, CXgirl! Possibly a biscuit jar, but if that's a hot water pot it would be shorter, I think, than a chocolate pot and then that would be a sugar. I'm hoping to get a pic of the bases.

8. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I think I found the chocolate pot. In the Marples' RS Prussia, The Early
    Years, pg. 125, plate 474. Chocolate pot, Mold OM 152, 9" high. It looks like a fairly extensive line so my guess is the matching piece is a biscuit barrel.
    Don

cxgirl likes this.
  9. clutteredcloset49

In looking through other items listed as RS Prussia, I see quite a few flower molds. Iris, Roses, Carnation, and Lily. I wasn't able to find a Daisy.

What type of flower do you think that is?

I'm thinking that this is most likely from the RS factories, whether RS Prussia or one of the others, I don't know.

10. kentworld

Thanks so much, Don.

11. kentworld

Ha, accidentally hit post too soon. I dunno what kind of flower it is, but I'll go with chocolate pot and biscuit barrel. I'll get this info to my friend.

12. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

You're welcome! I looked for the creamer and sugar but didn't have any luck. I doubt those are RS Prussia but wish I could see the design straight on.
    Don

13. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Glad you found it Don, none of the pieces are in the book I have - RS Prussia by Gaston.

14. kentworld

image.jpeg image.jpeg Here are a couple of photos of the biscuit barrel, no marks:

Draft saved Draft deleted