Need some help with table linens

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by vintagerobin, Jan 1, 2016.

1. vintagerobin

vintagerobin Well-Known Member

I'm always buying linens and lace then driving myself nuts trying to find out what they are. I'm hoping you fine people can save my sanity. :)

I'm attaching some pictures and would like DSC_1862 (1024x959).jpg DSC_1871 (1024x619).jpg to know how to describe the napkins and tablecloth.

Thanks for looking!

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  2. Jen and George

Jen and George Well-Known Member

If you put the sizes of the tableclothes and other pieces in you will probably get an answer. If the bottom piece is small it could be a bridge cloth with matching napkin, but without a size it is impossible to know.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  3. vintagerobin

Thank you Jen and George. I should have been more specific. What I want to know is the type of cloth. I think the items in both pictures are hand woven, but is there a name for the type of weave. Sort of like the different types of lace and what they're called.

4. Jen and George

Is that what they called linsey woolsey?

5. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I have some made of cloth with that sort of weave and was wondering the same thing recently.

6. vintagerobin

I looked at pictures for linsey-woolsey. I've seen that before but didn't know what it was. But it's half linen and half wool. There's no wool in these pieces.
    I keep thinking the second picture is some kind of Scandinavian cloth but can't find anything like it when searching.

7. Jen and George

If you google flax/linen vintage tablecloths you will see several similar to yours. I think they are a type of homespun linen cotton blend. I have several Swedish huck embroidered towels and they are different from these. I also have two that were called "homespun" that are all cotton and are much heavier in appearance than yours.

8. vintagerobin

Thank you, Jen. I'll check that out.

Draft saved Draft deleted