Need to estimate the value of a european real oil. Thanks

Discussion in 'Art' started by Asian Fever, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Asian Fever

Asian Fever Well-Known Member

2. Asian Fever

The signiture is R.Schmidt.
    Robert Schmidt? German?

The painting is about 58 inch long and 28 inch tall with frame.

Is there anyone can roughly tell me the estimate value of it? Thanks.
    Seller asking for 500. I don't know whether it is a good price. (There's 3 small damaged spots on it but can be fixed.)

3. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

I love it! Piazza San Marco!

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

A fairly generic painting of Venice, of which there are many. It's not a good price if you can't identify who R. Schmidt is. (An internet search should help you there.)

Debora

aaroncab likes this.
  5. Asian Fever

Thank you Debora.
    I only found out Robert Schmidt-Hamburg is the closest. Is that painting by him?

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Certainly doesn't appear to be. To my eye, yours looks like a 1950s decorative painting. But I could be wrong. A photograph of the back, including frame, would be helpful.

Debora

antidiem and aaroncab like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I don't know if your painting is by Robert Schmidt Hamburg, but he is probably the closest guess.
    I found Robert Schmidt Hamburg on several German info pages, they all say roughly the same. He was born in 1885 in Berlin (inland), and was a sailor for a while. He added the name Hamburg to his surname out of love for that northern German harbour city.
    In 1921 he settled down in Kiel-Laboe, in north Germany, and became a painter.
    He made mainly maritime paintings and painted for shipping firms, things like illustrations for advertising and for menus on cruise ships and collecting cards (like baseball cards, but of ships). He died in 1963 at home in Kiel-Laboe.
    This is in German, but it is the same info, with some pictures.
    http://cuxpedia.de/index.php?title=Schmidt-Hamburg,_Robert
    He made several paintings of Venice.

Here is a YouTube film of a posthumous exhibition of his works, with an explanation in German, so you'll have to be patient.;) After about two minutes the first painting appears

This is a painting with his signature:
    [​IMG]

upload_2018-1-31_10-34-16.jpeg

Bronwen and Asian Fever like this.
  8. Asian Fever

Thank you so much for your information. :)

Any Jewelry likes this.
  9. Iowa Jayhawk

Iowa Jayhawk Well-Known Member

To this untrained eye, the signatures do not look quite the same. Just going by the way the "R" is formed.

10. Any Jewelry

Signatures can evolve.

Bronwen likes this.
  11. Iowa Jayhawk

Iowa Jayhawk Well-Known Member

Nice way to say as we get older our writing goes south on us. ;) I know mine sure has.

12. Any Jewelry

My signature is virtually non-existent now. A few sea waves, really. Great for surfing.:D

komokwa and Bronwen like this.
  13. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Just going by the Schmidt, looks to me very much like the same hand. It would be relatively easy to forge, so have to leave room for some doubt.

Asian Fever likes this.
  14. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted