Featured Need your aid in IDing these three pieces.

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by gregsglass, May 22, 2017.

1. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Yesterday took a walk around the block. Spied a yard sale. Usual stuff nothing special. I walked around later and the stuff was piled at the curb awaiting trash pick up this morning. Found these three pieces in a box. The salt and pepper set has sterling lids. They are 3" tall and 2" at the base. The salt is 2¼" long and 1" high. I thought it might be the Mari Gras pattern, The salt and pepper stand is 6½" tall and 5" wide, the holes for the salt and pepper is 1¼" diameter. Looked at the books I have and NADA. Does anyone know the patterns? Thanks.
    greg 002.JPG 004.JPG 006.JPG 009.JPG 012.JPG

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

You can just send me the shakers and I'll spend endless hours researching them. ;)

Do they fit on the little stand?

Aquitaine and pearlsnblume like this.
  3. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

The holes are too small, according to the measurements given.

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

i've yet to understand how anyone can set this kind of quality to the curb.....
    even a good will would take this in for free....

good garbage hunting Greg !

Aquitaine, pearlsnblume and aaroncab like this.
  5. gregsglass

Hi Komo,
    i have seen people throw sterling silver sets into the trash since they do not want to polish them.:oops:. These did not sell at the sale so out they went. I did not see them at the sale so perhaps an after thought. One woman had a sale and had 15 Wedgwood saucers for sale at 5¢ each. They did not sale so out to the curb they went. I picked them up at the curb and sold them for 35 dollars each. I used to do more trash picking but the last year I have been off my legs. The stuff I found just walking around was amazing. Four years ago my neighbor threw out 30 to 40 pieces of white Westmoreland glass. 20 pieces of it were common pieces but they sold for a few bucks each at my garage sale. 10 pieces sold for over 20 bucks each. One sold at auction for 150 dollars. Down here, most people retired and ditched all of their good stuff when they moved. When I lived near a city which was going down hill. The stuff I found was magical. When I worked in North Jersey in a depressed area, the stuff that went into the trash was heartbreaking. I saw thousands of stained glass windows and doors broken up and put into the back of trash trucks. 3" thick solid mahogany doors into the trash truck. Stacks and stacks of pottery and dishes and God knows what else into the truck. As these large old Victorian houses were broken up into 12 or 15 apartments out went the stuff to the curb.
    greg

6. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

salt dip looks to be George Duncan's Sons #42 'Mardi Gras' c1899

Figtree3, gregsglass and komokwa like this.
  7. komokwa

y'know...my head understands...but my heart does not....:bigtears:

Christmasjoy, Aquitaine and judy like this.
  8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

And my greed-ometer wishes for a pickup truck and a warehouse to store the loot! For free it's hard to miss, and you didn't with those.

Aquitaine, judy and pearlsnblume like this.
  9. gregsglass

Hi TallCakes,
    Thanks for the information. i thought it was Mari Gras. Now I wish to know the salt and pepper stand and the salt an pepper. One down and two to go.
    greg

judy likes this.
  10. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Can't help with the glass but I still love the vintage table.

Aquitaine and judy like this.
  11. TallCakes

having a hard time making out the detail in those shakers; is that a daisy button type motif at the top. Closest pattern that comes to mind is Richards & Hartley's 'Tremont'.

gregsglass and komokwa like this.
  12. gregsglass

Hi TallCakes,
    Does my poor drawing help?
    greg 013.jpg

13. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

With sterling tops, aren't the shakers cut glass rather than pressed? Hard to tell from you pictures, greg.

judy and gregsglass like this.
  14. komokwa

good try....keep yer day job !!! :hilarious::hilarious:

judy and gregsglass like this.
  15. gregsglass

Hi,
    With my nose and sinuses killing me with the green snow and my eyes watering i am lucky I can think.:eek:. I think the shakers have such perfect designs so I guessed they are molded not cut. I love the sterling tops they have wonderful stars instead of holes. I'll check this morning, it would wonderful if they are cut. Any ideas on the holder?
    greg

komokwa likes this.
  16. gregsglass

Hi Tallcakes,
    You are the man. The shakers are "Tremont" by Richards & Hartley. Now all I need is the shaker stand ID'd.
    greg

17. gregsglass

Hi Pearls,
    Thanks for liking my porcelain topped table. The table and chairs were made in 1937. The date is on the bottom of two of the chairs. The standing china cabinet I think is around the same time. They are the perfect size for this tiny kitchen. The white painted wood makes me want to strip them but....... The pink coming through has me believed they were painted in the 50s.
    greg

18. TallCakes

the drawing does help to understand the motifs, but still not luck finding a match...

19. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

The shaker stand is called a "caster" searching for condiment caster may be helpful. The is a shaker group of Facebook which could likely get your caster right off.

20. LIbraryLady

LIbraryLady Well-Known Member

Ah, trash night. Unfortunately my town now mandates the use of gigantic cans that are emptied mechanically by a truck. Better for the garbage people, but a loss for me, as I had long taken to scheduling evening dog walks according to the pick-up routine.

Draft saved Draft deleted