Needing To Know The Indian Tribe Who Made This Bottle Basket - Thanks!

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by KnutzKollect, Mar 21, 2022.

?

Is this Bottle Basket Early Tlingit?

1. It is Tlingit

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. It is Not Tlingit

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. KnutzKollect

KnutzKollect Member

I have a very Early looking North American Indian Basket Bottle needing Identification. The only thing I know about it is that the Bottle it is wrapped around is from the 1850;s - 60's era for I was a Bottle Collector in the Day and recognise the Early Form. Measures 6 inches high and 4 inches wide. It has (4) tiny Basket Weave straps on each side for some kind of sling to be fitted through them. The bottle has an intewresting looking base and is a rounded base that makes the bottle not stand up on its own. Any Information would be Highlhy Appreciated! Thank You! Gary K IMGBASKET5.JPG IMGBASKET3.JPG IMGBASKET1.JPG IMGBASKET4.JPG IMGBASKET7.JPG IMGBASKET2.JPG

judy likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

judy likes this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

4. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Very nice. It looks like the work of a professional basketmaker, using willow in the European derived tradition. (At least I think it is willow.) If you google "wicker covered flask", as @komokwa showed, you will find a number of versions. Some are described as Civil War era. It helped protect the flask from breaking, of course.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2022
    Figtree3 and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted