Featured Nemadji?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by crazycrowlady, Sep 8, 2019.

1. crazycrowlady

crazycrowlady Active Member

I'm guessing this guy is Nemadji, but I can't make out all of the stamp. It's wheel thrown, about 8" high, 1960s. Not especially well made, but pretty. Any thoughts?

20190908_102149 copy 2.jpg
    20190908_102034 copy.jpg

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I agree that it looks sort of Nemadji-ish, but that is not a Nemadji mark. Nor does the way in which the swirling done look the same as the applied colors on Nemadji pieces. Nemadji uses a much lighter color clay than this.

The stamp on the bottom seems to include a much longer name than Nemadji Pottery, although most of it is illegible. Looks like 3 words the last 2 of which are Badlands Pottery.

3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Certainly looks like old Nemadji and the mark is consistent in form with theirs, if not in content. They were known to have produced some pottery branded for others but I have not seen this mark.

4. verybrad

If you search Nemadji 161 vase, you will find some very similar examples.

5. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

North Dakota Badlands Pottery

6. Bakersgma

7. verybrad

8. Bakersgma

It's too bad Lehner's does not mention this variation in the name.

KikoBlueEyes and Christmasjoy like this.
  9. crazycrowlady

crazycrowlady Active Member

Thank you!!! You are all so incredibly generous with your time! (It'll probably be a long time before I'm able to offer something useful on the forum, but I'm hopeful...)

10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is beautiful, ccl, both the shape and the fine swirls in warm colours.:)

11. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I like it, the colors are fantastic.

crazycrowlady, judy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  12. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

The definitive reference on Nemadji pottery is The Myth and Magic of Nemadji "Indian" Pottery History,Identification and Value Guide by Michelle D. Lee. There are over 30 different stamps illustrated, which are from the author's own collection (four are versions of this particular "Badlands Clay" stamp), and an estimated additional 10 that are not included.

The author points out that prior owners of the Nemadji factory confirmed that individual shops across the country also bought unmarked pottery and applied their own stamps. So accurate dating depends more upon the color of the clay, and the interior treatment.

There were slight differences over the appearance of the pottery in the 75 years it was produced. The earlier pieces (1929-1933) used colored clay, were hand-thrown as well as mold-made, and had shellac interiors. Patterns and colors of the distinctive swirling paint decoration also depended partly on who the decorators were at the time, and the fact that it's a similar process to that used in making marbled paper, so the outcome will always be unique to each piece.

This piece fits into the 1933-1972 period, when all the pots were made from molds, and before the lighter color clay (from Kentucky) was first used and glaze replaced the shellac.

Draft saved Draft deleted