Featured Netsuke Figure Is it Ivory? How Old and Who Signed?

Discussion in 'Art' started by Karen S., Jul 18, 2019.

1. Karen S.

Karen S. Active Member

I bought this Netsuke today at an artist's estate sale. He had a lot of unique goodies like storytellers, SW Pottery, Original art, Kachina dolls etc. This netsuke I picked up for $1. I looked on You tube for information how to tell ivory from bone and this piece doesn't have the black holes for veins etc. It does seem to have a grain/crosshatching to the surface. I know that I can't sell Ivory unless it's 100 years old. This piece is signed and if anyone knows the artist, I'd love to hear more. Oh, I also tried the hot needle to see if it would burn, and it did not leave a mark. So what do you suggest? I have an Etsy Vintage shop that I'd love to sell this legally at, (I need help with the price also) 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg but perhaps, I'll just have to add it to my personal collection. The inking and work on it is amazing. It is 2" tall and 1" wide. Thank you ahead for your help. I love finding out new information on this forum.

Chiquita, Christmasjoy and kyratango like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I think you can rest easy on the subject to ivory. This is not ivory, much more likely resin. It is also relatively new and as clean as it is has probably never been used in way netsukes are.

3. Karen S.

Karen S. Active Member

Thank you Bakersgma

Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  4. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

BTW the hot needle test is never a good idea no matter what the substance.

5. Karen S.

Karen S. Active Member

LOL that's what I was informed was a good way to test by an antique dealer on You Tube. Ooopps!

judy, Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  6. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Good clear pictures! I agree with Bakersgma that it’s a resin.

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Resin.

Debora

Bronwen likes this.
  8. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    NEVER use the hot needle test on anything. Working in the ER I have seen several serious burns from people using the hot needle test. If it is a celluloid item it can literally explode. Other plastic pieces can be indelibly marked and scarred. Let's get the word out NO HOT NEEDLE TESTS!!!!!!
    greg

9. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

10. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

Karen that is really cute and should sell in spite of it being resin.
    Patd

pearlsnblume, kyratango, judy and 2 others like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I'm with the others.:)
    Yes it should sell because the cuteness factor.
    One thing to remember about netsuke-like items is that these cute 'bigheads' are recent. I think it has to do with the Japanese anime fad, but that is just a theory. They also make them in bone.

Bronwen, kyratango and judy like this.
  12. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

13. taipan2

taipan2 Member

I agree "resin" & new

Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  14. Kathy Anderson

Kathy Anderson Well-Known Member

Hmmm; depends on how it's used. Have used it many, many times on the inside of a perforation of "African trade amber" that's really Bakelite and it works well. Course, you have to know the smell, eh?

judy and Bronwen like this.
  15. Kathy Anderson

Kathy Anderson Well-Known Member

Agreed; it looks like resin with a very slim chance of tagua nut.

16. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

I know I'm going against the tide, and was glad to see the suggestion, however slim, of tagua nut.

I don't know what it is, but there are parts that don't ring true to me as resin. The crack in the bottom is one, plus the other circled area. There are other bits, but those are the ones that bother me the most.

5.jpg

17. Rabid Collector

Rabid Collector Well-Known Member

Looks a little too light to be Tagua nut. Tagua nut is more caramel coloured. See below. The cracks are interesting though. Not sure what they mean. :) 6B9C2488-005A-4620-A559-8D1A6F081BE1.jpeg

18. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

What seems to be bubbles and a "blob" surface below the hole in the photo in the above photo looks like resin.

19. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Most tagua nut is the color of ivory unless it has been dyed.

aaroncab, judy, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  20. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

I'm not seeing what you mean. But I grant that there are definitely areas, particularly the mouth, that make me think resin.

But but but... I'm still not convinced.

Draft saved Draft deleted