Featured New game: Yea or Nay?

Discussion in 'Art' started by verybrad, Jan 23, 2016.

1. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Here are the #7 paintings with their frames.

Painting A:
    pair7a2.jpg

Painting B:
    pair7b2.jpg

GaleriaGila and Figtree3 like this.
  2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Between A and B, I prefer A, even though it is still dark. I like it's luminescence......like a full moon shining down on the hills and water; and I like the rolling hills.....truthfully I'm not too sure what's going on in B........the background has me befuddled, and not sure if that's supposed to be water in the middle or not.

GaleriaGila and verybrad like this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I like the frame around B better than the one on A. It helps pick up the orange tones in the foreground while giving the whole image depth. The one around A just sits there without enhancing the image, IMHO. Not sure what I would replace it with, because it does have an interesting shaping to the inner part. It's nice enough, just on the wrong piece.

GaleriaGila, verybrad and Figtree3 like this.
  4. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

EDIT - This was in reply to the posts about the Met's exhibit on unfinished works.

Thanks for that! I enjoyed it so much. Was interested to see that the faces are typically the focus/first step. I do the same... whether with the little graffiti portraits or more formal portraits. Once you've got the face, you have company and guidance for the rest of the picture.
    That sounds crazy.
    And I'm okay with that.

verybrad and Pat P like this.
  5. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

I prefer A only when I flip it upside down. The water then looks like the sky.
    B is very nice. The hand looks bold and assured with no bitty paint strokes and looks good upside down too.

GaleriaGila and verybrad like this.
  6. verybrad

Are you in a habit of viewing paintings upside down? ..... LOL! :woot:

Aquitaine and GaleriaGila like this.
  7. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

To my eye A needs a simple, darker frame. Below is a quick Photoshop version with a plain frame and increased contrast of the image... don't know if the color is truer to real life or not?
    framedpainting.jpg

8. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I do like your suggestion, Pat. Much improved!

9. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

It looks like a nocturnal scene and the darker frame seems more appropriate and matches the mood.

When I was painting on a regular basis and would feel stuck on something, I would turn the piece upside down and stare at, sometimes for days until I figured it out. If I was doing a portrait from a photograph, I worked upside down on certain elements. Sometimes it's easier to "see" when you are not looking at as something so recognizable and just breaking it down to shapes and tonal values.

10. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Dear Houseful,

Looking at a painting upside down is something *I* would do. No offense intended. :hilarious:

Gila :bag:

P.S. Oh, and hola, and welcome to the Forums! :happy:

EDIT
    Brad, are sure that thing is right side up? Seriously.

11. verybrad

The black frame looks great and your photo editing is pretty true. I did work on the pic a bit but it did not come out that good. I am always afraid to boost the contrast too much. The pic I had to work with on this is not the best. It was taken years ago and not with this kind of scrutiny in mind. Had to enlarge it a bit which never helps.

Gila,
    The picture is right side up!

GaleriaGila likes this.
  12. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Okay, Brad, I always believe in you! :) Thanks!

13. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

My mother taught me to hold artwork I was working on in front of a mirror to check for balance and other things. It can really help you see things that need correction that you might not catch otherwise.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  14. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Amen, Pat... I learned something similar when photographing paintings for eBay... just a different-size look... a fresh look... can reveal stuff that needs fixing!

Aquitaine and yourturntoloveit like this.
  15. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Yup... like looking at a scan or a photo of an object can help me see flaws I hadn't noticed. Or dirt that I need to remove. Oops! :rolleyes:

yourturntoloveit and GaleriaGila like this.
  16. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Pat, I like what you did to A! A nice "Pick me up"!!!!! Although still generally darkish, IMHO!!!! But much better!!!!

Pat P and yourturntoloveit like this.
  17. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Thanks, Aquitaine!

18. verybrad

Some final comments about pair #7.

Painting A appears to be a nocturnal scene to me. I imagine a moon-lit night and find it dark and mysterious. I also find it peaceful with a sense of solitude. It has some of the same characteristics of the regionalist paintings we discussed before. There is a rhythm to the rolling hills and lines of foliage.

It is by listed artist Nota Koslowsky (Polish/American 1906-1972). The frame is original to the painting and I figure this dates to the 40s or so. You will note a small number affixed to the frame top left. I believe this to be an exhibition number but am not certain. I bought this many years ago off ebay for about $50.00 if my memory serves. As mentioned, this painting is in need of some restoration so I currently have it stored away.

Painting B is quite interesting to me. I get a fauvist sense from it due to how the color was used. The technique is somewhat expressionist and also a bit surreal. There is an overall feeling of tension to this. I don't know if it is something foreboding or just that the status quo can't remain. I have never seen another painting quite like this.

It is unsigned. It has some age to it and is painted on masonite. I bought this for very little off ebay since it needed some restoration. It has been cleaned and restored. The frame is modern and one I put on it. It hangs right above my computer and I look at it every day.

Bakersgma and Pat P like this.
  19. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Oh, wow, Brad... Painting B is really part of your life. Thank you for sharing the painting AND its relevance for you.
    Know what? Just as I would have chosen B for my complex professor, as I said earlier... well, I would have chosen it for you, I think. Really. And for the same reasons.
    Coolio!

20. verybrad

Gila,

The two paintings by J. Ray Yocum hang directly over my bed. Of what I have shown so far, only these three are part of my permanent collection and currently hanging. I tend to rotate things in and out of my collection and sell some as I get tired of them or find something I like better. These three are not going anywhere soon.

Draft saved Draft deleted