New here...Hello!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by TimberinTN, Jul 3, 2023.

1. TimberinTN

TimberinTN Member

Hello all, I'm new here and wanted to introduce myself. My name is John and I'm from SE Tennessee. My Grandfather recently passed and his house and barn are full of antiques, from bells , carnival glass, oil lamps, and pottery to old vintage tools and such. Literally 1000s of pieces. I have put a lot of work into trying to identify everything but needing some help on a few items. Especially the pottery and pitchers as well as a few of the oil lamps. I have most of the over 750 bells covered but may need help with some of the old brass ones. I am hoping someone here can assist with identification. Look forward to the discussions and thanks so much for having me here!

kyratango and judy like this.
  2. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Hi TimberinTN!

Welcome to Antiquers...............!:cat:

kyratango likes this.
  3. judy

judy Well-Known Member

When asking for help, provide photos of all sides of item..........even of bottoms whether they are marked or not.....................

Insert pics into your post using the Icon provided. Always choose Full Image.

4. TimberinTN

TimberinTN Member

Thanks so much, looking forward to learning more about all the things they collected. I knew nothing about Vaseline glass until I came across one of the bells he had and discovered it's UV glow. Absolutely beautiful andi have fallen in love with the pieces he had now. I bought a 365nm blacklight strip and going to display the 3 pieces (1 vaseline, 2 uranium glass). I don't have room for everything so many pieces will have to be sold at an estate sale, but hope to learn more about a few I want to keep as well as understand the value of the items I will need to sell.

5. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Hello John and welcome :)

6. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

As someone who is in the Estate sale and Auction world - you might want to look at a good local reputable auction house and Estate sale company. Most auction houses offer shipping or work with shipping providers and you increase your buying audience from local to worldwide. You can also try to find an Estate sale company that works closely with a good auction house. We go into an estate and pick through and decide what items would benefit from auction exposure and send them to the auction house. We had a couple of pieces of turned vessels and asked $1000 for each. We thought because the vessels were from a local and famous wood turner, we wouldn't have an issue. We ended up taking them to our auction house and fetched twice the amount. With an estate sale, you have to cross your fingers and hope the right people walk through the door but at auction, the right people are always looking. Good luck!

kyratango, komokwa and judy like this.
  7. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

Welcome John. You are in the right place.

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Thank you for joining us, John. You're very welcome here.

Debora

kyratango likes this.
  9. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

welcome aboard

kyratango likes this.
  10. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Greetings, John!

kyratango likes this.
  11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

greetings....

sorry for your loss !!!!:(

kyratango likes this.
  12. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

13. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Welcome! Don't just sit there, post some stuff. Now we want to see!

kyratango likes this.
  14. TimberinTN

TimberinTN Member

Wanted to share a couple pics of the stuff I'm currently going through. The cabinet has over 700 bells but only a couple left to figure out. The kitchen is full of all kinds of glassware, lamps, and pottery. Thats not all of it as a lot of stuff is in boxes temporarily over at my Mom's. Doeant include the Depression glass...haha. 20230703_150808.jpg 20230703_150816.jpg

kyratango and pearlsnblume like this.
  15. TimberinTN

TimberinTN Member

This is his 'nic nak' room in lower barn. 20230703_151515.jpg 20230703_151519.jpg 20230703_151522.jpg 20230703_151525.jpg 20230703_151528.jpg 20230703_151532.jpg

komokwa, kyratango and pearlsnblume like this.
  16. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Holy guacamole; the tool guys are going to go nuts in there! Whee!

kyratango and pearlsnblume like this.
  17. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

wowie that is a lot of stuff. Ruth is right, the tool guys will go nuts.

kyratango likes this.
  18. TimberinTN

TimberinTN Member

Haha, yeah, every time I walk in there I find something I didn't see before. There is an old pot belly stove in perfect condition, several hand planes, metal working and woodworking tools, about 50 different hammers and so far found about 14 different sized pipe wrenches...there are also some really cool old wooden batteries...at least I think that's what they are.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  19. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Welcome John:)
    Whoaahhh you have a serious collection of collections:woot:

20. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

there are tool auction houses out there just waiting for you to call them.....

the BB gun....is another matter !!!:playful::playful::playful:

Draft saved Draft deleted