Featured New here - help with antique (Georgian?) ring

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Snilda, Sep 28, 2021.

1. Snilda

Snilda New Member

Hello all,
    I received this ring a number of years ago as a gift; I know my husband found it at an antique jewelry dealer in Austin, TX, and much of their inventory was British bought. I am trying to figure out what the origin might be, given the fairly detailed crown imagery on this. My guess is some sort of coronation memorabilia, if the dates are accurate (ca 1750-1770), but it could easily be something different. I’ve tried to do some online research, but have never found a similar piece - the only photos that show up are of my ring, from the shop! Any leads or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thank you. Listing is linked with good photos:
    https://www.bellandbird.com/products/georgian-era-diamond-crown-ring

kyratango, Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

DD37F0D3-8FEC-40A1-BDBE-7562E7BFC72D.jpeg B650F4F4-123D-4DDC-A5D7-521C1FD707D1.jpeg 208D5E88-1141-4A7B-82BD-976ECD96D6E3.jpeg 392A54F4-3CDD-457F-8754-6FCB152016F4.jpeg C248A08D-7FA5-4C63-A857-F4A00E0795E4.jpeg

I’ve posted the photos from the link. Many members won’t click links. Welcome to the Forum! :)

Firemandk, KSW, kyratango and 4 others like this.
  3. Snilda

Snilda New Member

4. i need help

Is your ring marked?

KSW, Bronwen and judy like this.
  5. Snilda

Snilda New Member

Unfortunately no, though it was obviously worn for some time as the back of the band is thinner than the sides (in a more organic sense)

KSW, Bronwen, judy and 1 other person like this.
  6. i need help

The jewelry folks will be along to weigh in.

KSW, Bronwen, judy and 1 other person like this.
  7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'd have said later, maybe mid nineteenth to late. Did they tell you why they thought it Georgian?

KSW, kyratango, Bronwen and 3 others like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Gorgeous ring, Snilda, but it looks later to me too. I would say mid 19th, still a very good age.

Georgian rings tend to have flat, closed backs. While yours has closed backs on the settings, the rest is not flat and too open for a Georgian ring, imo.
    That fluting on the settings was used in Georgian times, but I think it came in later than the date given in the listing.

This ring has a typical Georgian back (I can't copy the photo, but the link is reliable):
    https://laurelleantiquejewellery.co...uster-ring-18ct-gold-silver-2-60ct-of-diamond

This later one has a fluted back (I hope the picture shows):
    [​IMG]
    https://thevintagejeweller.co.uk/pr...t-diamond-crown-ring-circa-1810s/#prettyPhoto

This one has a back like yours, closed settings, but the construction of the ring itself isn't flat. For instance, the square shape around the central diamond stands out separately.
    The seller dates it to ca 1850:
    [​IMG]
    https://www.halsbandaffaire.de/Nuernberg-um-1850-Seltener-Biedermeier-Ring-Gold-750-Silber-Diamanten

Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
    KSW, Xristina, kyratango and 5 others like this.
  9. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Fabulous info, thanks!
    Hardly a day goes by that I don't learn something useful here. :)

KSW, Xristina, kyratango and 4 others like this.
  10. Snilda

Snilda New Member

This is really interesting, thank you! I only know what the shop had listed it as, and I never really thought about it until I started looking at the front more and realized it was very similar to the specific designs of the crown used by the three Georges of Britain. It could certainly be more indicative of other ones used in the 19th c onward. I’ll try to add the photos of those so you can see what I mean with the specific details.
    upload_2021-9-29_7-39-31.jpeg
    State crown of the Georgian kings
    Imperial state crown
    upload_2021-9-29_7-42-18.png
    I just can’t figure out why the ring would have the very specific details that are like these crowns unless it was meant as some sort of nod to perhaps a coronation - maybe a celebration like a jubilee or something? Curiouser and curiouser. The mystery deepens!

KSW, Xristina, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  11. Snilda

Snilda New Member

So a little more perusal, and I’m wondering if it was made around the time of Victoria’s accession; found this listing for a ring dated ca 1830, and it looks a lot more similar in general to mine. I’ll keep searching :)
    upload_2021-9-29_9-8-48.png

Bronwen and Xristina like this.
  12. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Sometimes a mystery isn't a mystery when you look at jewellery history.;)
    Crown jewellery has been popular since the Byzantine period, often to signify a bond between people. Well-known examples are the crowned hearts, such as luckenbooths and Claddagh rings. In Bulgaria they continued to make crown rings ever since Byzantine times.
    That a 19th century crown ring would bear resemblance to an existing crown isn't unusual, it is a crown the maker knew, probably from engravings.
    That one is earlier than yours. If you look at the back, you can see that it looks like other Georgian rings, almost flat. The back on yours is much more like modern rings. The only difference with a modern ring back is that the settings of the stones on yours are closed.
    Don't go down too many rabbit holes.;) I know it is tempting, the human mind has that very creative ability to see links where there aren't any.:)
    I think it is more likely that your ring was a token of someone's love or affection.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
    Bakersgma, Bronwen and Xristina like this.
  13. Snilda

Snilda New Member

Well, it’s nice to have and wear, all else being equal. Thanks for all the input.

Draft saved Draft deleted