Featured New here - peculiar bronze cross - black/brown patina with a screwhole in the back

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Aopocetx, Aug 8, 2021.

1. Aopocetx

Aopocetx New Member

IMG_20210806_160715968_1.jpg IMG_20210806_160734149_1.jpg IMG_20210806_160457678_1.jpg Hey guys, I hope all of you are good. I made this account a long time ago and since then I've become pretty good at finding Antiques and identifying them but I can't lie that I have found some recently that have completely stumped me and one of them is this completely heavy 3x4 in bronze crossed. It has a protruding cylinder on the back of it that actually has a screw hole so I'm assuming it's at least late 1700s. When did people start using screw holes anyway? Or could it be tapped? There is no marking of any sort unless there's patina on top of it and this is what I think of it. It probably originally went into a bigger object like a statue or a staff or a large crucifix. I don't personally think it had was tapped when it was made because the screw hole is way too perfect and wait till you see this cross. Any information is very welcome. I also thought this might be the master form to create plaster molds to create more crosses. Am I on the right track at all? The other answer I could not find online is what type of cross this is because I've seen it before but only rarely. It has those distinct three raised lines on the inside with the diamond shape right in the middle. Also just a small note, this cross weighs a lot. For something so small it might even be a pound but I haven't actually waited. Actually it feels like cast iron.

Also, I could find this myself but I thought it was cool so bonus: what is this silver oil burner? The thing sticking out lets you raise the wick up and the whole top part screws off. No markings but I just realized I haven't looked at the bottom of the wick part when it's undscrewed. Any ideas? Guys thank you. I'm going to be coming here a lot. I got into this about a year ago and just started studying hard as if this was going to be my career and I run a small eBay store that's actually paying my bills at this point but I've barely dipped my toes in this stuff.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2021
    LauraGarnet02, Bronwen and judy like this.
  2. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Test it with a magnet.

3. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

4. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Looks like an alcohol chafing dish burner to me.

5. David Kiehl

David Kiehl Well-Known Member

i need help likes this.
  6. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I concur with the opinions above.
    My first impression of the cross was that it was some sort of antique-y looking handle or pull. @i need help is spot on, as usual! The Etsy listing of the smaller drawer pulls even states, "New made to look old."
    And @sabre123 is also spot on with the other item being a chafing dish burner. I'd also hazard a guess that it's silverplate (if any silver is involved at all), not silver. :)

7. FishLure

FishLure FishN Ephemera

Screw Holes used since the
    Garden of Eden....hmmm

8. Firemandk

Firemandk Well-Known Member

yep...has that "made in China" rough cast finish and they did not bother to clean up the casting flash. Old cast iron is clean and smooth, and even if its rusted , you don't find old cast iron with casting flash if it was decorative ...

George Chaney and Boland like this.
  9. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Great information provided (as usual) I also posted a question about a Ethiopian/Lalibela cross a few days back. Can I maybe please ask that one of you “people in the know’ have a look. Many thanks

i need help likes this.
  10. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

I've bumped your thread, and tagged a few people.

Boland likes this.
  11. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Many thanks for that.

i need help likes this.
  12. George Chaney

George Chaney Well-Known Member

Very nice info for me to use in the future. Thanks!

Draft saved Draft deleted