New Here - questions on inherited dolls

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Echo63, Dec 28, 2018.

1. Echo63

Echo63 New Member

Hi All,
    I have a few of Dolls I inherited from my grandparents from their travels 50's-70's. IMG_0123 (3).jpg IMG_0122 (3).jpg I don't know a lot about these -so I thought I would post for folks to share info / interest.

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

You certainly do and... aren't they sweet?

Debora

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome, Echo. A pretty lot.
    I don't know what you want to know, so I'll just start.

First photo, top row, the two next to the Scottish two are from Wales, the one on the right is from Burgos in Spain.
    The second row, the two on the left are historic costumes, maybe wives of Henry VIII? The others are too generic to define.

The bottom photo are two Indonesian wayang puppets in the background, what looks like an Italian doll on the left, then two which could be North African? The girl with the pretty yellow ribbons is Czech.

If someone can turn the second photo the right way, I could see if I can identify the wayang puppets. I am closing for the night, so that would be tomorrow.

Christmasjoy, judy and i need help like this.
  4. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Hi Echo!
    Welcome to Antiquers.

You can do a search on eBay for each country represented, to get a fair value.

It's doubtful that any of them would bring very much, but it's possible that some might bring more than others.

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Apart from the wayang puppets, the best one of the lot is the Czech girl, then the Spanish one from Burgos.

6. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

9A0DC110-C28A-4BF8-B4CB-7EA7BB180FF0.jpeg
    Welcome to the Forum, Echo! :)

Any Jewelry, Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The two in bottom row at right appear to be from Ireland. The one in red with lace cap is too generic to identify (although she might be meant to be French.) You should check for markings on the doll itself. The one with the conical hat, which is called a tantour, would be from Lebanon. And the two with brass objects likely North African.

Debora

8. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

9. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

Sorry to be so late .. The dolls are sweet, but are out of my realm as I collect dolls from before the 1900's. I do recognize the first two dolls .. they were made in England. They are definitely from the dates stated and most appear to be made of hard plastic. Not a lot of value here but they are cute and collectible. Everyone was spot on with their assessments ... Joy.

10. Echo63

Echo63 New Member

Thank you All. This is really great to know some details.I wish I had a journal or something from my grandparents travel!

11. Echo63

Echo63 New Member

IMG_0118[2260].jpg IMG_0120[2254].jpg IMG_0116[2264].jpg IMG_0117[2262].jpg

12. judy

judy Well-Known Member

13. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

greetings....
    the wayangs are likely the prize.....but doll collectors of all stripes are out there !!

14. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same thing. Someone would mount and shadowbox the puppets in a heartbeat.

judy, i need help and Christmasjoy like this.
  15. Any Jewelry

I was considering that about the hat. I only know them in metal, though.
    It was worn in the Syrian influenced nations, of which Lebanon was one. The others were Palestine, Jordan, and Syria proper, of course.
    It was also worn by the Arab/Moorish and Jewish populations in North Africa.
    This is the Palestine tantour:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lebanese tantour:
    [​IMG]

Druze tantour:
    [​IMG]

The North African Moorish/Jewish type is slightly wider, and covered with filigree. It is called a sarma.

The doll itself looks Italian, and the clothing looks too European to be Middle Eastern or North African I think. It is also wearing an apron, which is not a Levantine custom.
    I seem to remember a high conical hat being worn somewhere on Sardinia, where they also wear a lot of black and red, and white lace ruffles, but I would have to dig out my Sardinian costume book.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    komokwa, i need help and judy like this.
  16. Any Jewelry

I'll get back to you later on the possible identity of the wayang puppets. They are Javanese, I forgot to say yesterday.
    Is the size in inches or cm?

judy likes this.
  17. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Must be inches, I see a 1 foot mark.

Christmasjoy, Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  18. Any Jewelry

Thanks inh, that makes it the regular Javanese size. I am always hoping for slightly smaller ones, which could be Madurese.:)

Your puppets are wayang kulit (leather) from the Wayang Purwa theatre. Wayang Purwa is the oldest and most classic form of shadow/puppet theatre. It is mostly performed in central Java.
    The plays are mainly from the Hindu epics Mahabharata and Ramayana. The Javanese epics are slightly different from the Indian ones, with less action and more talking. Suspense or aggression is expressed by the type of face and the colours. A main character can appear in different versions for different moods as the story progresses.
    Both your puppets are 'good guys'.;)

The white-faced one is a bit of a mystery. He reminds me of Arjuna, a noble hero from the Mahabharata epic. But when Arjuna has a white face, he shouldn't be wearing bracelets, which yours is.
    The shawl over his shoulder is usually worn by divinities, but divinities wear a crown.
    I'll do some research, if I find him, I'll post it.

The black-faced one is Arjuna's son Angkawidjaya, also called Abimanyu. He has the same noble personality as his father, but is more introspective and quiet. His loose hair defines him as an ascetic.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  19. Echo63

Echo63 New Member

AMAZING KNOWLEGE! THANK YOU.

Draft saved Draft deleted