New here, wax stamper questions

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by RoseD, Jul 31, 2023.

1. RoseD

RoseD New Member

I've had this for 30 years. It was found between walls of an old house. Trying to find country of origin, age, and meaning of symbol. It appears to be solid brass. 20230731_104634.jpg 20230731_104528.jpg 20230731_104606.jpg

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Welcome, Rose. What a cool find. First we have to remember that the engraving is meant to be seen on a seal this way round:

upload_2023-7-31_13-8-32.png

It's difficult (for me) to make this out as a monogram, but it probably is. I'm interested in the figure who forms the handle. Prussian soldier? Turkish? Could we see him straight on?

Figtree3, kyratango and komokwa like this.
  3. RoseD

RoseD New Member

20230731_112132.jpg
    20230731_112132.jpg 20230731_112132.jpg 20230731_112132.jpg

Figtree3, kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

one would suffice :happy::playful::playful:

I'm getting an India vibe////& what looks like HS...or a dollar sign????:wideyed:

5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Rose, what country is/was the old house in? Answer proves nothing, but could be a clue to origin.

Wondering if we are trying to make Roman alphabet sense out of something written in a different script. Figure forming the handle not European. (But could be European idea of "exotic".) @Any Jewelry @Taupou Do either of you see anything here?

6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The figure is decorated with designs that are Indian in origin, looks like. The metal looks Indian too. The monogram seems to be in the Latin alphabet but I have no idea what it says.

kyratango likes this.
  7. RoseD

RoseD New Member

The house was in Albany, Oregon. USA and was at least 100 years old.

kyratango likes this.
  8. RoseD

RoseD New Member

Sorry, new to the platform.

Figtree3, kyratango and komokwa like this.
  9. RoseD

RoseD New Member

The shape is crooked, and it appears crude workmanship to me. I've puzzled over this thing for years.

kyratango likes this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Well, that was an unusual find in an unusual place. Do you know if the former inhabitants had a connection with Indonesia?
    It is from Java, Indonesia, late 19th century.

It reminds me of East Javanese keris (dagger) hilts, and could have been made by a keris hilt maker.

sydschm, Figtree3, komokwa and 3 others like this.
  11. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Welcome Rose!
    What a cool find:woot:
    Any Jewelry is extremely well versed in Indonesian artifacts, you can trust her identification:)

Figtree3, komokwa, Bakersgma and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted