Featured New Member with Locket ID Request

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Bryce D. Spafford, Feb 22, 2020.

1. Bryce D. Spafford

Bryce D. Spafford New Member

I bought this locket for my wife and have no idea of its age or country of origin. It tests as 15KT and has no markings.
    It's pretty beat-up but we still like it.
    Any information from the experts out there is greatly appreciated. 20200219_123055_copy_502x740.jpg 20200210_145755_copy_632x523.jpg

2. Bryce D. Spafford

3. Bryce D. Spafford

The back.

KSW likes this.
  4. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

7B4E6D78-76DF-49E5-B85E-7568A75C26AC.jpeg Welcome to the Forum, Bryce!
    It’s Very pretty! :)
    Jewelry folks will be along, but I was just wondering if something is written where I circled?

judy, KSW, Houseful and 1 other person like this.
  5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

No surprises this one missed getting marked; that's one old locket. If I were taking a wild guess I'd say circa 1870, but the construction has me wondering if it's not even older. Usually the ones with glass in them were meant to hold a lock of hair.

It may be rolled gold instead of solid 15k, and that would explain the lack of a mark. The Victorians made pieces so well they sometimes fool gold testing kits. I'd also bet good money the bird in the center is silver.

judy, kyratango, KSW and 2 others like this.
  6. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Very pretty.
    Agree that this was probably meant to hold a lock of hair.

I think date would be mid 1800s.

judy, kyratango, KSW and 2 others like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome, Bryce.
    It is absolutely beautiful, thank you so much for showing us. Your wife is a lucky lady.

The style period is Biedermeier, a German/Continental term for the period of ca 1840-1860.
    This specific style with those round very textured stippled petals and swirls is attributed to Austria and southern Germany.
    I have some more modest brooches in the same style, and researching them I have found both Schwäbisch Gmünd (S Germany) and Salzburg (Austria) mentioned as manufacturing towns for these beauties.
    Although the culture of these neighbouring regions is closely related, my feeling is yours was made in Salzburg, it has the exuberance of Austro-Hungarian jewellery.

evelyb has a point when she mentions the possibility of good quality rolled gold. One of my brooches tests as gold, but is marked 800 for .800 silver fineness.
    Obviously the bird on the locket is silver, to make it stand out from the floral background.
    On some parts of your locket, like the petals in the detail below, it looks like there is tarnished silver showing through the gold. It is still a very good quality piece though, stunning workmanship, and both silver and gold were expensive at the time.

upload_2020-2-23_11-40-18.jpeg

A bit about stunning workmanship, it is also 'workwomanship'. In Schwäbisch Gmünd these pieces were made by families. The delicate filigree was often made by women and girls, the components were assembled by the men. It was probably the same in Salzburg.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
  8. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Welcome, Bryce!
    Stunning piece:woot: It must have had some old repairs, the bird's eye is made from a watch movement ruby (hole for the axe:cyclops:).
    The turquoises are glass, which can be consistant with East Europa provenance, as @Any Jewelry said maybe Austro Hungarian.
    I have a locket brooch which had once an ornate cover like yours. Mine is undoubtly Australian as it has emu and kangaroo on the frame, and hand colored photos signed by an Australian photographer:joyful:.
    Which country did you get your locket from?

KSW, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

The dark red beads, alternating with the turquoise glass flower hearts, are also glass. Most glass in the region was manufactured in Bohemia, which was part of the Austro-Hungarian empire at the time. Bohemia is now part of Czechia.

KSW, judy and kyratango like this.
  10. kyratango

Mine, not gold, you can see the hinge for the lacking cover on top: Resized_20200223_123945_264683824290373.jpeg Resized_20200223_124000_264683595914411.jpeg

11. kyratango

This one (found on Pinterest:banghead:), is described by the Australian seller as early 1870s Australian jewelry, 15 ct gold. Resized_Screenshot_20200223-125548_Pinterest_265509934380589.jpeg

12. Any Jewelry

Oh, beautiful, kyra, I love it! And the ladies are also wearing stunning jewellery.;) Thay have the same face, what do you think, same lady, different ages, or mother and daughter?

KSW likes this.
  13. kyratango

:kiss: AJ, yes, wonderful jewelry on them! I thought sisters:rolleyes: (not a great age difference between the two, and hair fashion contemporary)

14. Any Jewelry

Kalmar has a site, and they have a shop in the historical Queen Victoria Building in Sydney, a top location.

http://www.kalmarantiques.com.au/

15. Any Jewelry

True. Sisters it is.;)

16. kyratango

Thanks for the link!
    I find strong similarities in the treatment of the flowers (textured metal, shape).
    Could Bryce's locket be Australian? I never encountered other memorial pieces with hinged cover:bucktooth:

17. Any Jewelry

Or, could those early Australian goldsmiths have been Austrian immigrants?;)
    The 1850s goldrush brought people from all over the globe to Australia, and there was a sudden demand for skilled goldsmiths so rich gold merchant's wives could show off their wealth.
    Even when we lived there people preferred 'Continental' gold and silversmiths. They were still regarded as the best craftspeople.

The colour of the gold on Bryce's locket, as well as the use of both rose and yellow gold, are more in keeping with Central European gold and gilt items.

KSW, kyratango and judy like this.
  18. Any Jewelry

Kyra, I think you'll like this link on Aussie goldsmiths:

https://www.jewellermagazine.com/Article/196/Past-and-present

A quote about the relevant period and style of your brooch:

Across Australia's eastern seaboard, the rapid discovery of gold in the mid-19th century generated great wealth and population expansion, especially in Melbourne, a young city that would soon become the cosmopolitan centre of Australian cultural life. "Marvellous Melbourne", as it came to be known, was soon marked by teaming boulevards like Elizabeth and Collins Street, where banks and trading companies built a financial capital and jewellers and luxury stores supplied the growing needs of their middle and upper class patrons.

But Australia's small jewellery-making industry could not cope with demand. Along with many other luxuries, jewellery was largely imported from Britain and Europe by the growing retail stores in Melbourne, Sydney and Hobart.

Blessed with invaluable raw materials, local jewellery making would finally blossom with the influx of skilled immigrant jewellers and goldsmiths arriving from Europe, the US, and Britain.

Anne Schofield and Kevin Fahy, authors of Australian Jewellery: 19th and Early 20th Century (1990), note that these professional jewellers "created jewellery in the naturalistic style then popular in Europe, using local gold, silver and gemstones, and incorporating decorative motifs of Australian flowers, plants, birds, and animals."

19. kyratango

Very interesting link! Thank you AJ!
    It is sure early Australian goldsmiths were immigrants! This country was too young for them to have been taught there:rolleyes:

20. Any Jewelry

Exactly.;)
    It also says in the article that the main Aussie goldsmith families are descendants of those immigrant goldsmiths. Nice to see tradition like that.

Draft saved Draft deleted