New nude by unknown artist

Discussion in 'Art' started by gerspee, Dec 15, 2018.

1. gerspee

gerspee Well-Known Member

Anybody some ideas about the artist ? Thanks P1020116 (Medium).JPG P1020117 (Medium).JPG P1020119 (Medium).JPG P1020121 (Medium).JPG P1020118 (Medium).JPG

2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

3. gerspee

That's a good find from you and now I have to find out when made I think . Most probably a copy made off course but you never know . Any links to a colour made Matisse off this lady ?

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
    Christmasjoy likes this.
  4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I did a quick Google, and I think Matisse liked naked ladies! I didn't see yours.

5. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

6. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Oil on canvas, sold for 15 090 500 USD.........

7. gerspee

And what would a real painting on paper do in value if it's under influence off Matisse painted ?

8. Zinnie

Zinnie Well-Known Member

9. Zinnie

Zinnie Well-Known Member

I'm not an expert on its authenticity at all but it does appear to be a painting copied off the original. The details too closely match what is said to be the original painting on canvas and known as a true Matisse. The initials on here are what's most off-putting and point IMO to someone trying to scam an artwork by someone famous. The painting is worked too much for a student just learning about art by painting the masters (unless an exceptional one, I suppose) and they would be told not to add a signature, esp one that could be misleading later. What is the value of artwork made to fool the buyer? Should it even exist? It's a nice copy but I think, again my own opinion, written documentation of its 'fakery' should be established before it goes anywhere.

10. Jivvy

I cannot get away from the gut feeling that this piece should be examined by someone other than people on a message board.

I feel foolish saying it out loud, but it's done. :hilarious:

kyratango and aaroncab like this.
  11. Zinnie

Zinnie Well-Known Member

That's the crux, isn't it? Sometimes we can only offer our opinions. But I totally agree it should be examined fully in person by someone who has good authority. Matisse did make preliminary drawings of his paintings, in fact here is the exact figure as a lithograph. So it could be this small painting on paper is also just that.

And gut feeling should always be followed up on, especially in a place like this? Many of you have far more experience than others (ie me) in the examination of antiques, including artworks. So I'd expect you to tell me this, if I ever have the chance to show something as exact to a real painting by a master such as this. It's how we learn to step back and re-examine our original thoughts. Thanks for adding. :)

http://www.henri-matisse.net/drawings.html

kyratango and aaroncab like this.
  12. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Not foolish...just due diligence - and I agree.

13. Jivvy

Okay, it took me longer to get there than it should of... I'm pretty sure this was a copy made off of a projection.

Even with an off-angle photo of the copy, the lines are just too perfect.

temp01.jpg

kyratango, Figtree3, Zinnie and 2 others like this.
  14. Jivvy

(I mean, still really well done -- even if working from a projection, the person who painted this was skilled...)

kyratango, Zinnie and aaroncab like this.
  15. Zinnie

Zinnie Well-Known Member

@Jivvy - well done, YOU, for doing this!! Yes, my thoughts too. It's soooo easy these days to recreate art because of our now vast access to it but it does take some skill. The original is just different enough from this OP also to give the idea that it was a pre-painting for the final version. Plus the initials. Sneaky. It would take testing the paint ingredients or matching up the colors, side by side; testing substrate. I'd investigate as possible even as this is most likely just someone being a bit too free with it. Then again, some of these 'copiers' are now gaining a following just because they are so audacious, so it "could" have value? It all goes back to the intent. :rolleyes:

kyratango, Figtree3 and aaroncab like this.
  16. Jivvy

@Zinnie For me the closeness of the lines says, "no way it is anything other than a projected copy."

That's right, I'm now taking back my own recommendation to have it checked. :hilarious:

kyratango, Figtree3 and Zinnie like this.
  17. Zinnie

Zinnie Well-Known Member

We get to change our minds here, too, right? I certainly hope so! :) I may not last long if we can't. :eek:

kyratango and Jivvy like this.
  18. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Great that you thought of this. Thanks for doing it!

kyratango, Zinnie and i need help like this.
  19. gerspee

You all have done very well :oldman: And very useful information especial the likeness to be seen with the original . So must go to a expert to show my painting . Keep you informed what the outcome will be :)

Jivvy, kyratango and Zinnie like this.
  20. Zinnie

Zinnie Well-Known Member

I was hoping you'd pursue it, in spite of our somewhat negative views. If Matisse knew how to use projection, ie camera obscura, he could have used the smaller painting for the larger one. I keep thinking about the lithograph (see link above) that is so very close to both paintings as well. Yes, let us know and good luck!

Figtree3, aaroncab and kyratango like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted