Featured New year auction wins

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by charlie cheswick, Jan 3, 2023.

1. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

i think that main figure needs to be cleaned and highlighted a bit, think you'll be surprised how good it could look

ketchup is a surprisingly good option for brass and copper

maybe try a little on the figure ;);)

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it's also great with fries......

' needed to be said'.....;):p

charlie cheswick likes this.
  3. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

I like poutine. Yummy

charlie cheswick and komokwa like this.
  4. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I believe it is the vinegar, which is a mild acid, in the ketchup that actually does the cleaning.

I use just plain white vinegar to clean the hardware of my atomizers. That way I am not having to mess with ketchup residue. I soak them in a small amount to cut through the dust, dirt & grime that is often adhered to the hardware from years of sitting on vanity tables. I always rinse them with water when I take them out of the soak.

The hardware is often a base metal with a thin coating of gold plating so harsh chemicals or too much rubbing will of course ruin the plating.

5. Rufus@frockstarvintage

Rufus@frockstarvintage Well-Known Member

I also prefer plain vinegar to ketchup but have heard more than a few mention the fact that, unlike vinegar, ketchup stays put if the job requires some time (and if you don’t want to leave a submerged piece sit in vinegar, possibly going too far in the other direction - but you can also dilute the vinegar) - Another point Team Ketchup makes is that the ketchup option has vinegar PLUS tomato acid, so I guess a one-two punch. Personally, I find ketchup adds a step : removing clotted ketchup

6. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Good point. :happy::happy:

7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Also submerging kills rhinestones or dissolves the glue holding them in. The acid takes off corrosion, but be aware that the original finishe underneath same is long gone.

charlie cheswick likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted