New York? Movie Theater & Famous Person in Crowd

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Kronos, Jun 8, 2015.

1. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

Hello. Got 2 pictures here i'm trying to figure out and thought i'd see if others had any ideas about them. The first shows an early 1910ish movie theater. There is a sign but the angle is such that the only thing you can read is theater. The one mans hat has the theater name but again he's angled wrong to read it. The only real clue I see is a man holding a New York Clipper newspaper. Also, the lion heads might be a clue.

The second picture I believe is mid 1890's to 1900 and shows a large crowd of people looking at a man standing up in a carriage. He has an interesting suit on and a thick beard/mustache. There is another man to the left that has a tall hat and feathers? hanging from it. Clues in this picture: it seems the 4 paw and sells brothers circus was in the area at one time. There is a building with a sign saying ??lesale??ation (station?).

ab.jpg ab2.jpg ab3.jpg ab4.jpg

ScanticAntiques and KingofThings like this.
  2. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

Interesting Picture.....The only things I noticed is that there are very few women in the crowd (standing) I see some in a carriage in the back,,,,,but i can only see a handful in the crowd. Also the square pole behind the man standing in the carriage has climbing rungs on it, I don't know if that's a clue....or if they were made that way back then.

The first theater photo is cool too. The person in the ticket booth looks bored to death LOL

KingofThings, Bakersgma and Figtree3 like this.
  3. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

These are so interesting! In the first one, I see at the left side a sign that says "Theatre" and "To-Day". There is a poster in it with words that can be partly read. Looks like "Charles" and "..EHERAIRE." Maybe....

I love this site for looking up information about movie theatres. It started out being only about historical theatres, many of which no longer exist. Now it includes current ones as well.

http://cinematreasures.org/

KingofThings and Bakersgma like this.
  4. Figtree3

There is also in the first photo a big poster on an easel behind the two men towards the left. All I can see is
    ITE at the top...
    (NOTE: I just noticed the corresponding sign to the right of the picture. It says ELITE at the top. Maybe this was the name of the theater?)

Then
    RED
    OMS
    Both are ends of words.

There is also something lighter at the bottom of the poster that says A in the middle, and at the right seems to start with "Film"... can you see anything more there?

Oh, and at the right there is another poster in the background. Only parts of letters can be seen, and part of a picture.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  5. Figtree3

ScanticAntiques and KingofThings like this.
  6. Bdigger

I wonder.....looking at the poster easels.....the one on the left with ITE......Could be White, because the one on the right looks like it may say BLUE at the top. Maybe designations for 2 different screens?

KingofThings likes this.
  7. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Digger,
    The electric poles had the climbing rungs back then (no cherry pickers):rolleyes:. There are more women than you think standing in the crowds. I enlarged the photo and unless men are wearing big fancy hats there are women there.:D. Wonderful photo I thought it is about a sideshow or medical quack sell.
    greg

KingofThings likes this.
  8. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Your ELITE sighting is very promising, Fig!

Figtree3 and KingofThings like this.
  9. Bdigger

I enlarged it Greg, and there does seem to be more women then I thought. Looked at the other poles in the picture too, did not see climbing rungs on them, and they seemed to be round, although now I don't think that has anything to do with the picture. 4Paw and sells were famous for their animal (lion and big cat) shows, and employed the famous lion tamer Terrel Jacobs. I THINK the man standing in the carriage is Adam Forepaugh , The only pics of him I could find only had Mutton Chop Sideburns, but it isn't a far stretch to that beard.

Figtree3, gregsglass and KingofThings like this.
  10. Bakersgma

The guy in the crowd picture definitely has the look of a "showman" (what a coat!), but I'm wondering about those 4Paw and Sells posters on the wall in the background. The one on the left has been partially ripped off right down the middle and the one on the right has had the Brothers part partially covered already. I would think they'd be fresher looking.

Does anyone else remember a carriage driver with a fancy hat like that from The Wizard of Oz - the scene where Dorothy et al are first arriving in the Emerald City? Or am I dreaming?

11. Bakersgma

Hmmm. The original Adam Forepaugh seems to have died in 1890, but the circus continued long after that. Oddly I found one reference that seemed to say that the Forepaugh and Sells Brothers circuses didn't combine until closer to 1900. I know you can't believe everything you read on the web, but is it possible that there was an Adam Junior who took over after his father died?

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  12. Bakersgma

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  13. Bakersgma

Well a thorough search for pictures of Adam Jr. proved inconclusive. Most show him looking very much like the young man in the FAG listing. The most facial hair seen was a healthy mustache. And I didn't find a single one with grey hair. He died 1919 at the age of 58, so I'm sure this is not a picture of him.

Edited to add: I think we may be on the wrong track altogether.

14. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

Figtree3: I hadn't noticed the name on the easel until you pointed it out. I took another look at the ushers hat and it does look like it says Elite Theater. Looking at the lighted sign, the name looks short and looks like it starts and ends with an E, so I believe Elite Theater is correct. Thank you.

--

It seems to me that the man standing up in the crowd photo must have been someone instantly recognizable. His rather plain carriage has no advertising and there doesn't seem to be much going on in the way of promoting him or what he's a part of.

Figtree3 likes this.
  15. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Eyebrows are wrong for my first impression - Walt Whitman. Then I saw the dude in the hat with hair. It's giving off a New Orleans Mardi Gras vibe, but obviously somewhere else.

Figtree3 likes this.
  16. Bev aka thelmasstuff

This site has Circus history. They mention 4Paw & Sells.

http://www.circushistory.org/Query/Query07f.htm

The sign on the bridge is ripped, so it looks like that circus was gone, but if you post the picture, one of the members might recognize this duo. I have to say, the guy with long "hair" on the white horse is posing rather like Lady Godiva. Too funny

17. Bev aka thelmasstuff

The poster on the easel looks to me like ...emeraire. I found a reference to a famous British ship, The Temeraire. It's possible an early movie was made about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Temeraire_(1798)

From the article:

The Temeraire became the subject of a number of poems and songs commemorating her life and fate. An early work by James Duff written between 1813 and 1819 referenced her role as a prison ship, and was set to music in 1857 under the title The Brave Old Temeraire.[65] More generally, an anonymous poem entitled The Wooden Walls of Old England appeared in Fraser's Magazine shortly after Temeraire‍ 's arrival at Rotherhithe, and lamented the fate of the great sailing warships.[65] Turner's painting created an enduring interest in the story of the Temeraire and several poems appeared in the decades following her breaking up. Gerald Massey wrote The Fighting Temeraire Tugged to Her Last Berth, Herman Melville produced The Temeraire, and Henry Newbolt wrote The Fighting Temeraire, with its closing lines

Now the sunset's breezes shiver,
    And she's fading down the river,
    But in England's song forever,
    She's the Fighting Temeraire

Kronos likes this.
  18. Figtree3

Bev -- Good clue! I think I found the movie. It's not about the ship, though. It's called Charles le Temeraire, (Charles the Bold).

The movie was from 1910, so exactly when Kronos estimated the photo.

Here is an IMDb entry for the film:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0935056/

It was a French film, but released in the USA on 11 August 1910.

It was based on Anne of Geierstein, a novel by Sir Walter Scott.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anne_of_Geierstein

This page from an index includes information about the film in the left-hand column:
    https://books.google.com/books?id=Yyqc0Qa6b60C&pg=PA414&lpg=PA414&dq=Temeraire+melville+film+-jackson&source=bl&ots=K9XhzWp0F7&sig=e6-N_crRzJImPIOYE_Huwmgd_rk&hl=en&sa=X&ei=Uix3Vc6EO87toASWsYDwAQ&ved=0CEEQ6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q=Temeraire melville film -jackson&f=false

Original title of the film was
    La fin de Charles le Téméraire

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
    Kronos and Bev aka thelmasstuff like this.
  19. Figtree3

20. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

This is a long shot. The second photo reminded me of photographs I have seen of Anton Lang. He was a German Potter who also acted and was famous for his role in the Passion Play. He visited the USA and was interviewed by reporters. I couldn't find any photographs of him while visiting the USA which seems odd since he was interviewed. Here is a Wikipedia page on him

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anton_Lang

Here is a link to Google images. Most of his photographs are at the top of the page:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Ant...ved=0CAYQ_AUoAWoVChMI6crvqIWExgIVRXetCh3B5gBu

Draft saved Draft deleted