Newbie at this... Is this hutch worth anything

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by MarylandRenaissanceMan, May 31, 2020.

1. Hi all. I am upgrading my home. In the process I am giving away lots of stuff to local charities or via CraigsList. But I have a few old items of furniture that have proven to have some real value. I have an old-but-stylish living room hutch. I am sure it would be more stylish if the finish looked new, when in fact it's very worn. Also, the glass and metal lacework doors disappeared long ago. Nonetheless, perhaps some can tell me if this is potentially worth anything, or if instead it's just old junk to be given away. Any feedback is appreciated. Details follow, and I've included some pictures. (I do not have money for a professional appraisal. And I wouldn't even know where to begin searching for information. Especially because while I know the manufacturer, there is no model number or part number on the hutch. But even a general guess as to a possible range would be helpful. Or if someone can identify a particular model, year, and similar, that would help a lot.

Living room / Dining room hutch. Made by Furniture Guild of California. I don't know the date of manufacture, but I obtained it "previously-owned" some 35+ years ago, so it's older than that.

The exterior surfaces obviously need substantial restoration, or a total sanding down and complete refinishing. Again, the original top shelving doors are missing. Also, a cat-scratching carpet was nailed to the side and needs to be removed.

Otherwise in good, useful, fully operational condition. With a nicely done finish I think it would look very classy.

The top part of the hutch is 32.5" height by 12.5 " deep by 33" wide. The clearance between the shelves is 10" for the top two, and 11" on the bottom. The bottom, including the legs, is 34" high, with the legs taking about 6". The bottom is 17" deep by 38" wide, with again about 1 extra inch on the front and sides for the top surface. The total height is around 66".

Hutch LR picture 5.jpg Hutch LR picture 4.jpg Hutch LR picture 6.jpg Hutch LR picture 7.jpg Hutch LR picture 8.jpg Hutch LR picture 1.jpg Hutch LR picture 3.jpg

Last edited: May 31, 2020
    judy and komokwa like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

let's call in the big guns..........

@Ghopper1924
    @verybrad

Remember...it's the weekend...& folks pop in at all times.....so check back often..

Ghopper1924 and judy like this.
  3. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

YOUR WRITTEN DESCRIPTION IS FABULOUS! GOOD ON YOUR PHOTOS TOO! If this were an expensive piece, we would want to see the actual construction elements pictured.

Looks like 1970s Colonial Revival piece, not worth much in present condition, not very popular anymore due to kids like to paint old brown wood furniture. The top portion may or may not have been original to the bottom, too hard to guess without the decorative doors attached. Is that an old carpet cat scratch pad on the side that looks like it is glued onto there? We love cats here! :cat: I don't know if your goal is to sell this or not, it's not got a lot of value, I would give it away on Craigslist, please wait for the opinions of others..

4. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Yes, a good description, Maryland. Agree with Anti's very accurate summation: At this point it's probably a giveaway.

komokwa likes this.
  5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Agree with the others. Not old enough. nor in good enough condition to have much value. Bottom part would make a good paint project for someone once the carpet is removed. $20.00 in my market as-is. Less at auction so probably not worth selling.

komokwa likes this.
  6. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

Your cat scratcher made me LOL. You may have a bit of luck reaching out to the "shabby chic" crowd. Looks like a good candidate for a chalk paint flip. chalk3.jpg chalk2.jpg

komokwa likes this.
  7. Barbara W. Preston

Barbara W. Preston Active Member

Would have been delighted to get this piece when I was first married and setting up housekeeping on no money. Would be great find on Craigslist.

antidiem and komokwa like this.
  8. Firemandk

Firemandk Well-Known Member

Interesting that Furniture Guild of California mid century "modern" furniture seems to go for big bucks, yet the poor colonial stuff is hard to give away . I myself someday will have to decide what to do with my parents end tables, coffee table, kitchen table , all Maple high end stuff circa 1962'ish ......

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  9. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Indeed, and I've thought this exact same thought about MCM vs. Colonial Redone many times, even earlier today! ;)

The sofa and chairs my parents bought in 1962 was horrible MCM stuff! It was loose cushions that slid around on upholstery webbing when one sat down! Their side tables were a tad nicer, but I sold them on Craigslist for cheap too. Really just glad that stuff is gone.

10. Sedona

Sedona Well-Known Member

I suggest donating it if you are not going to keep it, or listing it on Craigslist as others have suggested. A lot of people are hurting economically right now, and also looking for something productive to do. Also, in any circumstance, many charities try to teach people a trade, so I figure if someone learns furniture refinishing, or upholstery, from an old piece of mine, that’s a win as well. Good luck!

antidiem likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted