Newbie fron switzerland

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Lecollectionneur, Sep 11, 2018.

1. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

AAHHH, this is a good hint, thanks! I'll remember it for next, if happens, micromosaic repairs! Here the tesserae (little pieces of glass used to create the motif in micromosaics) are really micro sized... as a true lazy person, I went for a patch of clay, then carved it with lines...
    The big butterfly was repaired too with polymer clay to recreate the lacking wing, the risk was to bake the whole brooch at 110°C for 20 minutes!
    the coloring was done with watercolor pencils and iridescent eye shadow... Th'at's why I call my "kyratisations" cosmetic repairs:hilarious:
    before:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

after, with a layer of self doming acrylic varnish:
    [​IMG]

2. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Nothing lazy about you!!!!:)

3. Lecollectionneur

Lecollectionneur Well-Known Member

Very difficult repair again, the cosmetic is just now what museums recommend as the great auctioneers too, you just have the sensation it's good but if you look closely it's a preservation-conservation action, not a repair make to be a faked item.
    Tosay I learn tesserae for "tesselles" which is the french word for those long threads of coloured glass or small parts of enamelled clay.

Christmasjoy, kyratango and judy like this.
  4. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Lecollectionneur I have been working on discovering the US Customs regulations for you to send me an Evolution 10 knife. I've never seen this in the US anywhere. I just wanted you to know why you haven't heard back from me. I do have a paypal account and will send you reimbursement for any expense you might incur including travel and your time. I'm so excited.

judy, Christmasjoy and kyratango like this.
  5. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Correction an Evolution Wood 10

6. Lecollectionneur

Message send. ;-)

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  7. Lecollectionneur

For interested members, some pictures about carved coconut, when I say that it's only for pre-1900 and no asiatic items which are modern at 90%.
    With some examples of replacement work, they are more often as on the first picture than in perfect condition.
    [​IMG]

a picture from a cleaned one, no chemical used, just water based cleaning media and a very fine brush made of goat hairs
    [​IMG]

Christmasjoy and kyratango like this.
  8. Lecollectionneur

I'm interested too by boxes like this miniature one, is this a specific thread on the forum for the "Objects of vertu" ?
    It's in the collections of my wife but not a sewing box, about 5cm. in the longest side you can nearly just use it as a vitrine object.
    [​IMG]

Christmasjoy, kyratango and judy like this.
  9. kyratango

Hum, no specific section for objets de vertu, but you still can open a new thread about them! We had some time ago a member who opened one about netzukes:joyful:
    Really pretty little thing! Could it be a stamps (timbres) box?

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  10. kyratango

Oohh, I love these! In France they are described as "travail de bagnards" (made by convicts:))

11. Lecollectionneur

It's not a stamp box, the period is simply before stamps were used, more as a decorative item, the vignette inside and the absence of wear on the paper says that it was never used with something hard, the vignette on the back is more damaged if you look precisely.
    For the use of "travail de bagnard", "prisoner's work", it not usable on all subjects, those which are the most interesting for me are really too well made, specific sharp tools used, with silver mounts too expensive, the bottom is clearly often made with a system to divide, a divider in mechanical terms, I will make pictures of certified "travail de bagnard" if you want, I' have some examples, they have a more primitive design and the metal parts are lead from the eating plates they receive, in a very economic use.
    They can be made on boats by the workers more certainly, some are very interesting, a "swiss" one made by a man homesick at the end of the 19th century is my favourite for patriotical reasons.:happy:

12. kyratango

Any chance to see the interior of the box? I think these turtle shell and ivory /mother of pearl marqueterie boxes were made in England, and the first adhesive stamp was issued in 1840, around the era of the box:)

I'm sure these beautifully made carvings weren't "prisonner's works", they needed specific tools to get such details and a real artistic sense:joyful:
    The sellers in France use this generic term, inaccurate, but useful to know if wanting to hunt for them;)
    There may be too a confusion with the work of Cesar BAGARD and followers:
    [​IMG]
    from this page (in French!)
    http://regardantiquaire.canalblog.com/archives/2009/09/26/15208920.html

Christmasjoy likes this.
  13. Lecollectionneur

Sorry, the link doesn't function on m previous post about the box : http://www.lecollectionneur.ch/coffret-en-ecaille-et-ivoir/
    The stamp boxes come after 1850 and have a specific interior, it you put something in this box you can't take it out without turnig the box upside down.
    And a really wonderful tobacco rasp I can't have.:banghead:
    The "bois de Sainte Lucie" is a Prunus hard and dense.

Christmasjoy, judy and kyratango like this.
  14. Lecollectionneur

As I've put some pictures about coconut reparation and conservation, there are on this link.
    And a smile from one of my coconuts.
    [​IMG]

kyratango likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted