Newspaper cuttings in Family Bible

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Lloyd, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

We have a family bible dating back to the 1860s which is in very good condition. We also have many newspaper cuttings relating to the family. Would it be ok if I put them in-between the pages of the bible to keep them safe? I also plan to put the old marriage certificates in there too. I don't think it would be more than 15 pieces of paper to put in.

judy and KingofThings like this.
  2. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

The newspaper might lead to acid discoloration on the pages they are in between.

3. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

Ow right ok... how much damage do you think this would be? The possible extent of it?

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

They will discolor (darken) the bible's pages in the shape of the clipping. As you'll want to preserve the bible for future generations, it's best to look for another storage place.

Debora

5. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

As stated above, it would lead to a brownish stain the size of the clipping. If that doesn't bother you, and it's a piece that's meant to be kept in the family, then I wouldn't worry too much about it. You could always put the clippings in a thin plastic sleeve, like they make for protecting postcards/photos and such.

6. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I save newspaper clippings the same way The Library of Congress saves newspapers. Soak the clippings in equal parts of club soda and a stomach antacid like Maalox or Windgel. Then they are soaked a few minutes dry them them between paper towels or such. When dry lightly brush off the excess powder. It deacidifys the clippings and they will not turn brown. I learned this from several courses that I took on saving art. I have several clippings from the 30s that still look pristine. Newspaper is very acidic since it is made from bleached pulp. I would not save them in the bible but keep them in a note book with plastic sleeves.
    greg

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
  7. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

Thank you guys for your responses, very much appreciate them :) was interesting to hear Greg of the solution to de-acidify newspaper clippings.. I'm not sure if I would trust myself doing that though! Wish I could find some courses round my way that teaches something like that...

8. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Not previously having heard of a method for deacidifying newsprint, if I wanted to do this think I would interleave the clippings with archival quality tissue paper.

9. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

Ah yes that sounds a good idea... think I'll definitely do that. Thank you for that suggestion

10. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

Me here again! I've taken your advice @Bronwen and ordered archival grade tissue paper to interleave the clippings in the bible. Wanted to ask you and others... do you know how many pages of interleaving clippings would it be safe to do so in a large bible? I've attached a side-view of our bible below:

IMG_5266 (2).JPG

KingofThings likes this.
  11. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Hmmm. I see the issue & you are right to take it into consideration. There is no way I could possibly come up with a specific number, just remark that if some are short, such as a death notice, 2 or more could be put in together. We'll see what others have to say, but think you will have to place a couple, check the effect, then decide how you want to proceed. The binding still looks tight, the pages & covers unwarped & you want to keep them that way. If you decide to collect the clippings into a box, it would still be a good idea to separate with the tissue.

KingofThings and Lloyd like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted