Featured Nias Totems

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Lark, Nov 27, 2022.

1. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

IMG_20221127_130414468.jpg IMG_20221127_130402795.jpg I see many Nias Totems when researching but have not found them with the pointed end. How old would these be and what would have been their use? Purchased in Indonesia early 1980's. Thank you.

Figtree3, Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

maybe used as a roof finial, or taken off the top of a staff...?

Figtree3 likes this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

They are not totems but ancestor figures. I haven't seen these particular ones either, they look older than the ones I usually see.
    They were usually tied together in a row, and attached to an altar. Maybe these stood in the sand?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2022
    pearlsnblume, Figtree3 and komokwa like this.
  4. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

Thank you so much AJ. When you say older how old approx? I am trying to get some information recorded for my grandchildren. I do not plan on selling them just passing them on. My dad had a good eye for antique and unique.

komokwa likes this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

My guess is 19th century, just based on the beautiful aging of the wood, but I am by no means an expert.
    I think they must date at least from before the "Great Repentance" of the early 20th century, when German Protestant missionaries converted most of the population of Nias, and many of the old Adu Zatua or ancestor statues were destroyed because they were considered pagan idols.:(

There is a museum on Nias, the Museum Pusaka Nias, or Nias Heritage Museum. Since I am out of my depth here, you could ask there.
    Their site is also in English:

https://museum-nias.org/en/

https://museum-nias.org/en/contact-us/

Last edited: Nov 28, 2022
    Potteryplease, komokwa and Figtree3 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted