Featured nice miniature frames and paintings inside

Discussion in 'Art' started by charlie cheswick, Aug 12, 2020.

1. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The IV? Regency. And he dies in 1837 and we go into the Victorian era.

Debora

Bronwen likes this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Yeah, that one. So you call the period in which George IV was finally on the throne himself Regency too? More a stylistic term than a historical one?

Style in cameos moved on a different trajectory & how they are mounted is frequently more telling about age than anything about the cameo by itself. Until standards went all to Hades, cameists were trying to produce pieces faithful to classical & neoclassical originals, despite current fashions in other items of dress.

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I do tend to use the terms to identify stylistic differences but even historians disagree on parameters of terms.

Debora

Bronwen likes this.
  4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@clutteredcloset49, here are enlargements of both signatures, but not totally sure it helps.....lightened the best I could....

upload_2020-8-12_17-edit2-gigapixel-scale-2_00x.jpg

upload_2020-8-12-edit-gigapixel-scale-2_00x.jpg

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Not sure signatures matter as they're of copyists.

Debora

charlie cheswick likes this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Charlie, I am sure the ladies would feel very much at home in those elegant frames.:happy: Great job with the ketchup!:D
    I agree, Pauline is on ivory. A real beauty.
    She is the same Paolina Borghese who lost her toes when an Austrian tourist sat on them while posing for a photo.:rolleyes:

Without getting into the confusion of which English monarchs ruled when, the hairstyle of the other beauty looks ca 1790 to me. Definitely before the French Empire period (Napoleon), when hairstyles and dresses became much more simple.
    Right now we have no proof she is either English or French. So any reference to a French or English period may not be relevant.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
  7. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

8. charlie cheswick

cool thanks Aj, i was thinking the same thing last night. maybe best to keep them with their original frames, as they seem to warrant/justify having them back, maybe just the ivory one for sure.

i was too busy drooling at the frames to care about the portraits, an added bonus

ive been searching for the right frame for so long, ive become obsessed by old miniature frames and miniature portraits, but the frames sell really well on their own, so they are great things to pick up at charity shops etc

Bronwen, Aquitaine and Any Jewelry like this.
  9. charlie cheswick

decided on a compromise, glass really does the plaque no favours, but would rather it be there for safety when i get around to selling it

also found a name on the other lady on inner backing

Aviary Photo_132417973331874394.jpg
    Aviary Photo_132417977968154049.jpg a1.jpg

Aquitaine and aaroncab like this.
  10. charlie cheswick

not a camera trick, i have one massive thumb on my left hand:)

Bronwen likes this.
  11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

12. Any Jewelry

Bronwen likes this.
  13. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Yes, of course.

Lots of attributions for work floating around internet. This may be correct.

'Portrait Of Countess Zofia Potocka-Witt' (1760-1822) by Anton Graff. Collection of Staatliche Museen, Berlin.

Debora

gettyimages-1055032248-2048x2048.jpg

14. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Bronwen likes this.
  15. Any Jewelry

Come on, a slave girl who was sold several times, her fate in the hands of random rich guys? She was right to do whatever she could.

Bronwen and Aquitaine like this.
  16. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

You're perfectly right. Nowadays we'd call her a victim of sex-trafficking.

Debora

Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted