Featured Nice vase find

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Shawnemery69, Mar 4, 2022.

1. Shawnemery69

Shawnemery69 Member

Found this in a trash out of a house. Almost went to trash! IMG_20220303_091834500_HDR~7.jpg IMG_20220303_091839929~3.jpg IMG_20220303_091845191~3.jpg IMG_20220303_091853867_HDR~2.jpg

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

So glad you saved it!

judy, pearlsnblume and Shawnemery69 like this.
  3. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

Paroutaud Freres (brothers) made the blank 1903-1913. It looks like it was painted by a hobbyist china painter, but pretty.

4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Some people are just plain crazy with what they put in the trash!!!!!:rolleyes::jawdrop:

judy, Firemandk, komokwa and 5 others like this.
  5. Joe in PA

Joe in PA Well-Known Member

Just for my knowledge, Do you know if these kinds of blanks were cold-painted, or were they glaze decorated and fired again? Thanks -Joe

judy and pearlsnblume like this.
  6. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

How very sad that some mother cherished that gift then it ends up in the trash ! Its so pretty why didnt they at least donate it to some charity ?

7. Shawnemery69

Shawnemery69 Member

Just call me Charity. Lol

bercrystal, judy, Aquitaine and 5 others like this.
  8. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

I would like to know that, too.

judy and Shawnemery69 like this.
  9. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

indeed ;)

judy likes this.
  10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Cold-painted I think. They were often done at home and I can't see Jane Homemaker having a high-temp kiln kicking around. Every time I see a piece like this in a thrift I get a little sad. Homemade quilts too, especially since they sell for peanuts if you figure the hours of work in them.

11. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

That's a tricky question to answer. Some studio pottery companies like Pickard did decorate and fire again. So you could find a Limoges blank that has been cold-painted by a hobbyist, but if Pickard used the same blank then you may find it decorated and fired again. The Pickard decoration would look more professionally done. It all depends (as everlby30 noted) if the person doing the decorating had access to a kiln. The vast majority of hobbyists did not.

It is also possible that a Limoges factory would create a blank, decorate some in-house, and then the export the remaining whiteware to the US for the hobbyist trade.

Other Limoges companies only produced whiteware, some of which was sold to other Limoges companies which did the actual decorating. These pieces usually, but not always, are double marked. Once by the company that produced the whiteware and once by the decorating company.

Hope I have confused the issue unnecessarily.

antidiem and judy like this.
  12. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The porcelain factories got there ahead of you.

antidiem and dgbjwc like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted