Featured No hallmarks, any idea on age?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by skerry, Nov 28, 2017.

1. skerry

skerry Active Member

Hi People,

I bought this ring at auction recently with 2 other rings that were hallmarked. this one has no hallmarks at all. I have tested it and it is I believe 14ct gold. As you may see from the photos, the rings mount is crudely made for a gold ring, it is uneven. The stone is some type of glass or aqua marine, I don't believe it is topaz, it seems too light (photos don't really show this).

Is it just a workshop ring of the modern type or could it be older?

DSC_0001.JPG DSC_0001.JPG DSC_0007.JPG DSC_0009.JPG DSC_0005.JPG View attachment 101305

Attached Files:

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

hard to date an artisan hand made ring.....nice though!
    stone may be legit too....

3. skerry

skerry Active Member

Thanks for your fast reply. Artisan, I like that word, classy. I can understand as well that it is hard to date, I thought I would just put it out there and see what people thought. Thanks again.

judy, Joshua Brown and komokwa like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

let's see what other have to say....:happy:

judy and Joshua Brown like this.
  5. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Not sure what you mean by "crudely made",ring shank is 1/2 round tapered near the setting.Photos are too dark under setting to see how it was made.Damage to the bezel around the stone from extreme wear or an original stone removed and replaced by amateur.

6. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

If you don't see any bubbles in the stone it may still be glass, it may not. If it is set in 14k you will want to have the stone tested :)

judy, Joshua Brown and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

A lovely ring, skerry, and nicely made in spite of a bit of unevenness. Just look at the way the underside of the bezel is shaped to allow for comfortable wear, and as Holly said, the tapering of the shank towards the bezel.
    The stone itself doesn't seem to be damaged, just a bit dirty. It could be a real stone, do you have a diamond tester? Otherwise best to have it checked, as Marie suggested.
    Assuming it is a real stone, when you move it around, do you see flashes of other colours in the facets? If so, it is likely to be topaz rather than aquamarine. Aquamarine seldom has that effect, topaz usually does. Both are beautiful gemstones, and the gold sets the colour off beautifully.
    The ring has age, difficult to say how much.

8. skerry

skerry Active Member

Thanks for your reply, perhaps crudely was the wrong term. Very interesting information though by you. As you can tell I am a complete novice in the field of jewellry but am keen to learn, thank you again.

9. skerry

skerry Active Member

I can see some very small bubbles but to be sure like you say, I will have it tested. many thanks.

Any Jewelry and Joshua Brown like this.
  10. skerry

skerry Active Member

Thank you for your comprehensive reply. It flashes the same colour as the stone when I move it around in the light. I actually bought my first diamond tester yesterday. It tests doe diamonds, moissanite, sapphires and rubies, it stays green when I test it which is the testers default light and setting. Until I gain more knowledge i think it is wise to have it tested by someone more experienced. Again, many thanks for your reply.

Draft saved Draft deleted