No signature found. Any thoughts based on style and subject?

Discussion in 'Art' started by Armando0831, Dec 26, 2015.

1. Armando0831

Armando0831 Well-Known Member

image.jpg I got this earlier today and automatically fell in love with it. It's oil on canvas board. I've looked for a signature but have not found one yet. I'll look to see if there might be a monogram or something of the sort. I get a 50s feel from this piece. Any thoughts? The subject appears to be a lady and man gathering food in the forest with a basket.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
    cxgirl likes this.
  2. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Is it really all blue? It looks like a colour photo negative.

3. Armando0831

Not a photo negetaive. The trees have a turquoise shade to them with mixtures of browns and reds. The water has the blue shade. The reds and oranges for the leaves really make the trees stand out.

4. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Charming! It looks like an illustration for a story that begins, "Once Upon A Time..."

Gathering? Mushrooms, nuts, twigs...

Armando0831 likes this.
  5. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Only thing that looks like a sig are the black squiggles near the green area at lower right of pic. Too blurry 4 me to make out though.

Armando0831 likes this.
  6. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

What are those folks doing? Is that a basket between them?
    Love the colors.
    Anything on reverse?
    I agree with Senor Springfield about the squiggles possibility.

Armando0831 likes this.
  7. Armando0831

image.jpg image.jpg

The only thing I can think might be a possible signature of some sort, might be the red color that is not as the same colors around it. The shapes and colors don't match anything around it.

A closer image of the couple, you can see a nice picture of how the artist detailed the parts of the individual, hair coloring etc.

cxgirl likes this.
  8. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

"Dick and Jane discuss what they should do about the UFO they found in the clearing."

9. Armando0831

It appears that they arrived by canoe to a clearing and gathered food. Nothing on the reverse, not even the maker of the canvas board.

10. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Very interesting... whatever's in the basket, it must be light, for them to carry that much of it. It looks brown, like little brown and yellow shapes. Leaves? That makes no sense. Mushrooms, maybe, yeah, Silver. Pinecones?

Edit - UFO! Yesssss!

11. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

It's canvas board? I missed that. Could I please see the back? We might be abled to offer some dates, based on that. Canvas boards' markings and brands can help.

Armando0831 likes this.
  12. Armando0831

image.jpg image.jpg

There's not any markings on the reverse. The nails are not square head.

13. Armando0831

Sure, no problem. I just posted some images.

14. Jen and George

Jen and George Well-Known Member

Picking up pawpaws, put them in a basket. Pawpaws are very light.

Armando0831 likes this.
  15. Armando0831

Pawpaws, never heard of them. I'll have to look that up. Thanks.

16. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Well, I've not yet seen a "serious" or professional painting on a canvas board. Also, I only rarely find a canvas board without brand/markings/something, so I'm not being too smart at the moment. I would guess it's by a talented student or hobbyist. There are others here whop can maybe date or assess the frame and wire. I might guess...1960's?
    I do really like the colors and composition/balance, and the warm/nostalgic mood it sets, UFO (unidentified forest object) and all. Good luck!

Armando0831 and cxgirl like this.
  17. Armando0831

Thanks. Some I agree, some I don't on the above statement. Not to come off rude, not my intention. I have in my collection, a painting, on canvas board, by a very well sought after artist from Texas. So, to rule out possibility of it not being a professional artist based on canvas board, to me, is not a solid foundation. I do find that the canvas board not having any markings, a little off but doesn't concern me all that much. I go based off of how well executed the piece was done. With some cleaning on this piece, I believe that it would really stand out more than it does already. The age, I agree, might be mid to late 50s to early 60s. Hopefully that didn't come off rude. I do appreciate your observations.

cxgirl likes this.
  18. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

I'm almost impossible to offend. And no, your posts are always gracious and informative . Next time, I may say "I've only known of one etc.etc." (lol) Thanks for teaching me that. And I bet we agree on the "I do really like the colors and composition/balance, and the warm/nostalgic mood it sets, UFO (unidentified forest object) and all." :)

Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
    cxgirl and Armando0831 like this.
  19. Armando0831

That's cool my wife hates when I do that. I tend to not read between the lines sometimes and take them face value. I do agree, the composition, balance and warmth of this is superior than some of the other paintings that I have found.

20. Jen and George

Jen and George Well-Known Member

When I was a young girl we used to pick them wild in my grandfather's woods. Haven't seen them for years. We sang a song in grade school called "picking up pawpaws, put them in your pocket." Showing my age again!

Armando0831 and Bakersgma like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted