Featured "NOBODY WANTS YOUR PARENTS STUFF??"

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Aquitaine, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Another article on the same line of thought .... thought that the section on forced minimalism hits it on the head. Many younger people like material items just as much as older people but their lifestyle in cramped apartments limits their ability to collect. I expect that in a few decades millennials will create a resurgence in items that they wanted but could not have in cramped living and possibly shared living spaces.

https://www.wisebread.com/why-holding-onto-too-much-stuff-is-a-burden-for-your-loved-ones

Christmasjoy, rocko23 and judy like this.
  2. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

duplicate.

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

but what will they want ??
    1st gen X-Box ?
    IPhone 1....?
    MCM.....
    Tony Hawk signed board....
    Signed copy of Fear......
    Dog......Cat.......???

Christmasjoy and Fid like this.
  4. IntoVintage.co.uk

IntoVintage.co.uk New Member

I think a lot of it comes down to whether your parents have good taste or not!

Christmasjoy and Fid like this.
  5. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

A couple of thoughts on the article.

Maybe it is just around here, but the thrift shops I go to are definitely not at capacity, unless you are talking about clothes.

The one GW I go to has an interesting way of divesting itself of the stuff that has not sold. I do not know how often they do this or how the items are chosen, but every so often a pallet appears that is stacked with maybe 12 to 15 small to medium boxes. All of the boxes are wrapped into 1 big bundle in that plastic wrap stuff so you can not look through the individual boxes. The entire thing is priced at maybe $20.00 so it would not be a huge investment. There must be a market because they usually do not hang around for even a week.

I clicked on the links in the article & the images they showed were of 20 somethings. :confused::confused::confused: Why? Are these the people they think are downsizing? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Not everyone is looking to downsize, but I still do not think they want our stuff. :p:pI talked to my brother last night & he told me my nephew (mid-50's) & his wife are finally building the house they always wanted. It has 6 bedrooms & 4 bathrooms. :jawdrop::jawdrop: Of course then he told me that their 2 sons (21 & 24) are still living at home & their daughter is talking about moving back home because her roommate moved out so he can't afford the rent. :eek::eek::eek:

6. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

they must have ! they kept us, didn't they ?:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

7. mmarco102

mmarco102 Well-Known Member

The cycle of life. What Millennials dont want from their parents, in their rebellious “I am going to be different from my parents”, their children will want to be different from them.

This is the best time to stockup on tomorrow’s treasures. ;)

8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Never underestimate the desire of adults to buy back their childhood.

9. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

@Sedona -- if you ever need/want help trying to locate some cousins, drop me a private note.

Trying to connect family with old photos is one of the things I do in my spare time, so I would not mind taking a look!

Aquitaine and pearlsnblume like this.
  10. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Here is the million dollar question.... what are tomorrow's treasures??? I wish we all knew.

Aquitaine and komokwa like this.
  11. mmarco102

mmarco102 Well-Known Member

....and to think I threw mine away. Picture this 100 years old :)

CFDA7C1F-F070-43A8-8A6C-6C921983375A.jpeg

Aquitaine and Jivvy like this.
  12. Jivvy

There are people who collect "1st edition" and/or niche VHS tapes.

Even though I know there's a market, I still roll my eyes when I walk past bins of them in a thrift.

Which is totally unfair given I think it's perfectly sensible to collect books. :cool::woot:

mmarco102 likes this.
  13. evelyb30

I bought VHS tapes this weekend, but they're railroad VHS tapes. I hope to sell them as a lot for more than the quarter each I paid for them. :)

Jivvy likes this.
  14. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

It is the rare/niche VHS tapes that have a market apparently. Stuff that is not available on DVD or other newer media. Nobody wants the 20+ copies of Titanic that are collecting dust at the local thrift store.

Jivvy likes this.
  15. Jivvy

Exactly. While I haven't looked in several years, the last time I read up on the topic, obscure horror flicks were the top draw.

16. evelyb30

In 78s, another obsolete medium, rare jazz and blues tracks are the valuable ones. Anything "popular" or on a big label isn't worth much. An Elvis 78 would do OK too.
    Rarity is only a part of it as usual - a copy of some movie or tune no one's ever heard of on a label no one cares about won't sell for much either.

Draft saved Draft deleted