North West Coast? Mask and 'Mask'.

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Any Jewelry, Mar 11, 2017.

1. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I bought these for a song a few years ago from a Belgian dealer in African art. He knew they were not African. Are they genuine North West Coast, or North West Coast inspired Balinese?
    If genuine, Haida and Tsimshian, something else? Possible artists, and value?
    The bear mask is a proper mask, the rope at the back is made of plant fibre and passes through double holes in the sides, and it fits around the head.
    The other one just has a screw at the back, with a synthetic cord. It does have the correct size and placement of the eyes and mouth for a wearable mask. The paint is more glossy than on the bear.
    Thanks for looking.

DSC07487 (429x640).jpg DSC07488 (416x640).jpg DSC07489 (640x427).jpg DSC07490 (448x640).jpg DSC07491 (456x640).jpg DSC07492 (427x640).jpg DSC07493 (427x640).jpg DSC07495 (576x640).jpg DSC07494 (475x640).jpg

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
    cxgirl and judy like this.
  2. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Wonderful pictures!

I can't wait for the replies!!:cat:

cxgirl likes this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Thanks Judy, it is slightly cloudy here, so the colour tone changes a bit with every picture.
    I can't wait either. I like both of them, but since I paid so little it doesn't matter if they're not genuine.

judy likes this.
  4. judy

judy Well-Known Member

But oh so much more meaningful if they are NWC.:shame:

5. Any Jewelry

Absolutely, although there are Native Americans who don't know much about tradition and just copy what everone else seems to be doing. They need to make a living.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
    judy likes this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

They are both Indonesian carvings in the style of the Northwest Coast 1st Nations art.

It's easiest to just say ' it's my business to know ' but I'll give you a little more to go on.
    From 1990 to 2002 I owned the finest contemporary Northwest Coast Indian art gallery on the eastern seaboard. I've been selling on eBay since 1998 but since then I've also been tracking the flood of Indonesian carvings in the NWC style that have shown up on eBay and in several fine auction house sales.

In your case the 2 designs were taken from known masks published in NWC art books.
    The second , front cover of In The Spirit Of Mother Earth.....1994....and the copies started to come out soon after !!!
    The 1st....I've seen this one so often....it no longer matters where it came from originally !!
    That makes it easy to spot a fake, when the masks are variations of known works.
    The other best way to spot a fake is the rear of the mask.
    NWC carvers do not finish their masks in the smooth flat curve that Indonesians do. ( this takes a while to learn...)
    The main type of off shore wood used is Albesia which has that tell tale open cell grain.
    It shows up as either dots ( little spots where the grain ends) or straight broken lines which a light paint job can't hide.

Sure they're great carves of the front .....but in most cases they don't properly finish the reverse.....because they never saw photo's of it & don't understand or care how the back should be done !!!
    ( & fricken YAY for that...because over the past several years certain Indonesian artists are indeed getting the design painting down to an art form....no not their art form...but the formline is getting so accurate that ( like yours...) at a glance...they do indeed look authentic..! :mad::eek::(:(

8ballbear1.jpg tatgirl732a.jpg

These masks and carvings from Bali are everywhere.....and will continue to be a problem for honest sellers and buyers for years to come.
    I have well over 1500 photo's of the fakes and new ones that I haven't seen before pop up on eBay monthly....even now I'm tracking a half dozen .

verybrad, judy, BoudiccaJones and 6 others like this.
  7. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I wish I were your neighbor!!

:happy:

8. komokwa

You are.....I'm right here !!! :happy::happy::happy:

P1010107.JPG

9. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Amazing, thanks for sharing your knowledge here komokwa! Easy to see how most of us that don't know better would be fooled by these, I thought the 1st one might have been real with the pieces of shell in the eyes

Any Jewelry, komokwa and judy like this.
  10. judy

judy Well-Known Member

What a display of treasures!
    And that's only what we can see.

cxgirl and komokwa like this.
  11. komokwa

yer welcome...
    that shell is available in Bali...as is the copper for the eyebrows....

judy, Any Jewelry and cxgirl like this.
  12. komokwa

Here Judy...now u can see some more.....:happy::happy::happy: P1010001.JPG P1010106.JPG

13. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Wow, fabulous pieces!

judy and komokwa like this.
  14. komokwa

do you see the moose caller , at the left , on top of the totem pole ?
    do you know how to call a moose ?
    " Here Moosey Moosey.......Here Moosey......!!!!!

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::happy:

judy and cxgirl like this.
  15. Any Jewelry

Thanks, Komo, I suspected as much. Didn't know the backs were a dead giveaway. To me the copper looked funny too. I've never seen those thin corrugated strips on NWC masks.
    Wonderful to see a bit of your collection again, gorgeous!

16. komokwa

there are some photo's of the back of a genuine NWC mask on line.....
    the day those indonesians get wise to that.....then we're all in trouble.

& here's something to think about......I've seen the fakes.....carved in real yellow cedar........:eek:

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  17. Any Jewelry

This world is getting more dangerous by the minute.
    The Balinese should stick to their own stuff, it is nice enough when it comes from a good carver (see left). But of course the people who commision it are at fault, the carvers just want to earn a living in a third world country.

18. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

I did notice the totem pole, looks very nice. I've never seen a 'Moose Caller' before but I wondered what that was - is it made of bark? What is the bird bowl/dish piece on top of the box?

judy likes this.
  19. komokwa

yup, birch bark.......it's not NWC.....more Cree !

it's zb1.JPG zb2.JPG a raven bowl....doug zilkie..

20. Any Jewelry

I was wondering about that one too, nice, Komo.

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted