Featured Northwest Chair Co (Tacoma) chairs

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by ksminsf, May 16, 2017.

1. ksminsf

ksminsf Member

IMG_20170516_110549.jpg

This was my grandma's chair, which were probably bought new in Long Beach CA. before 1950. I have another with the Northwest lable on it. Can you confirm maker, year, approx value? LOVE this chair, the squeek reminds me of my Grandma.

2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

It is a classic style that was made for a lot of years by various companies. It is a modified Windsor tavern chair. Could be as early as 1930 or as late as the 50s. I am not familiar with Northwest Chair Co. Maybe if you can find some information on the company, it will help you to pin it down.

3. ksminsf

ksminsf Member

Thanks for responding. I've tried to find a catalog for the furniture maker, to no avail. I'll keep searching tho, that's half the fun!

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

5. ksminsf

ksminsf Member

That's as much information as I've been able to find, Debora. Fortunately there is a label on one of the chairs so I was able to get that far. I'd really love to get a catalog of their chairs. Guess I'll have to stop by the Tacoma library next time I'm up that way! Great excuse for a road trip!

judy likes this.
  6. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Try to research who has the records of the company. I was researching a chair and found a small note that the company records were donated to a small library. I contacted the library and sent a photo of the label on the bottom. Much to my surprise the library contacted me three days later with the dates that my chair was made. Just by chance I noticed the note telling me who had the records. I forgot to say that I had your chairs painted white for my lawn parties. I had 17 of the chairs.
    greg

Darkwing Manor likes this.
  7. ksminsf

ksminsf Member

17 of THIS chair?? Wow! Thank you for the suggestion, Gregsglass...I'm sure there's a lead somewhere...I'll keep looking!

8. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I bought them at an auction of restaurant supplies. At 3 bucks each it was cheaper than buying new. I used to buy all of my kitchen stuff at auctions. Cake pans , stainless steel pans everything. i thought i would buy just a few things but you had to take all of them. I donated a lot of stuff I would never need and made money.
    greg

ksminsf likes this.
  9. arlo

arlo New Member

does anyone know what a northwest chair co dining table is worth? like new condition....

Attached Files:

10. William Halter

William Halter New Member

Is a model 642 rocker with cloth back,seat, and around bottom worth anything

11. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

We can only comment on your question if you post a picture of one, William.

Darkwing Manor and James Conrad like this.
  12. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

@William Halter - would be best if you started you own thread with lots of pictures to go with your questions. This thread is over 4 years old and the original poster hasn't been back since Nov. of 2017.

And sorry to say gregsglass recently passed away.

13. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Dang! I didn't know, thanks for posting the info. How old was he & did he go peacefully I wonder.
    YIKES! this thread is 4 years old I just noticed.

Ghopper1924, judy and komokwa like this.
  14. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

15. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

I didn't know him well but he was a big fan & supporter of the MET and knew about and personally viewed the "Bird" chest at the Brooklyn museum.
    According to his page he was 84, a long life & hopefully well lived, RIP Greg.

Draft saved Draft deleted