Northwest Chair Co

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Larry Wells, Aug 7, 2020.

1. Larry Wells

Larry Wells New Member

I have a drop leaf table (with an expansion piece) and three chairs made by the Northwest Chair Co. I bought it from a coworker 16 years ago and it belonged to her grandfather. From research it sounds like drop leafs were made beginning in the 1950s. That’s about all I know.

I am moving and would like these to go to a good home. Can anyone tell me what they might be worth?

A crack had formed on one wing and repaired using a hinge (?) and it has a few dings in the finish. Chairs are a teeny wobbly but usable.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

A1625541-CE7B-429A-8538-720D6863E3E9.jpeg 5B2E9EB5-87FB-44BB-B0FF-1D2B8BB681FA.jpeg B694B180-16D4-4C86-B10B-7185CB608A57.jpeg A895AAB5-ADB1-4537-AD3E-ED469D57AF02.jpeg 4C4F8A6A-4E7E-4074-AC8B-D3E73AEA68F6.jpeg

2. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

The one thing I can tell you is that drop-leaf tables were made many years before 1950.

Others will be along shortly (hopefully) to give you more information on the manufacture/use of/ and age/dating of drop leaf tables.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
    judy and Aquitaine like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

$40 for the 2 chairs would be nice !

judy likes this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

You can also add "gate leg" table to your search terms for this style of table.

The chairs look like they are maple.

judy and yourturntoloveit like this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

7. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

No idea Aqui sorry!

8. Larry Wells

Larry Wells New Member

Great! Thanks for the response.

9. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Out of my area of interest but, It's colonial revival furniture, 20th century and probably maple. Very little value these days.

mark737 and judy like this.
  10. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Could be as early as the 30s but think 40s or so more likely. With that finish and crack, the table is not worth much, if you could find a buyer at all. Chairs maybe $40.00 for the pair at retail if you are lucky.

mark737 likes this.
  11. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Hi Larry!

I really can't help, but I love gatelegs.

Perhaps you could sell the chairs, and keep the very servicable gateleg. They are great to tuck in a corner, until extra space is needed. We have a couple in my family, one my Grandmother's which goes back to the 20's. They are put to good use quite often when extra table space is needed.

Your's looks to be on the more delicate side, not clunky as some can be. It'd be a keeper for me...........

Good luck..............If you must sell, I hope it is to a "good" home!:cat:

James Conrad likes this.
  12. Larry Wells

Larry Wells New Member

13. Genevieve Gordon

Genevieve Gordon New Member

I too have an expandable drop leaf table with 6 chairs from the Northwest chair company in Tacoma. The interesting part for me is not being able to find the design of the chair anywhere and so I'm pretty confident it was one of the 1st designs created. I need the value of this set as well.

14. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Please post pictures of your chairs, Genevieve. We may be able to help you.

Draft saved Draft deleted