NOT ANTIQUE.....BUT HAVE A QUESTION!!! HAVE A NEW OTTOMAN ARRIVING

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Aquitaine, Jun 16, 2020.

1. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

tomorrow.....it's brown leather.....would like to know if ANY of you have suggestions on what I could treat it with BEFORE dear sweet DH starts spilling maybe some greasy chips, or who knows what else on it!!! We eat MOSTLY in front of the TV, unless we have company, so I'd like to PROTECT IT FROM HAZARDOUS "WASTE" so to speak (I consider stuff like 'chips n' dip' Hazardous Waste!!!) ANY CONSTRUCTIVE input MOST appreciatively received!!!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH, as always!!!

2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

We used to use "mink oil" to waterproof winter boots, back when. That might keep the uck from the chips from getting onto the ottoman too. Or something similar?

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

don't use anything slippery................

Aquitaine and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Ask the retailer. Over here, they usually sell you a care kit. It ougt to be pre treated, anyhow.

5. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

My Bassett leather furniture comes with a prohibition on using anything except water.

The do’s.
    • Dust frequently with a soft, dry 100% cotton white cloth
    • Clean regularly with a soft, 100% cotton white cloth that is lightly dampened with water. After wiping, gently rub with a soft dry cloth to remove soil.
    • Blot up spills immediately.
    • Avoid placing furniture in direct sunlight, which can damage leather.
    • Keep away from fireplaces and air vents that can dry out leather.
    And don’ts.
    • Never use polishes, oils, ammonia, cleaning fluids, solvents or detergents to clean. (The use of cleaning agents may cause damage and void the warranty.)

Aquitaine likes this.
  6. Aquitaine

@Ownedbybear, Yeah, the kit was another $50.+ bucks.....didn't think I needed to spend that much more.........

7. Aquitaine

Thankx all!! Also went online after posting! Got a couple of good (I THINK) tips as well....one suggestion to make your own conditioner: 2 parts of either flax seed oil OR linseed oil PLUS 1 part white vinegar.....said it also adds a nice shine!!! And to use either Baking soda OR Talcum powder for a few minutes to remove spilled (food) grease!! If anything sounds BAD, PLEASE, speak UP!!!!:joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful:

8. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

*sigh* So many types of leather - but even without knowing what type of leather you have, believe the 'conditioner' above would be a poor choice. If it's natural or aniline dyed top grain leather, it's going to darken and absorb stuff, oils will darken it, and probably not in a way you'd like - most upholstery leathers, even if high quality (and much of it is not, right down to dreadful 'bonded leather'), will have a protective surface applied, and it's not really going to like oil either...

When I sold luggage and fine leather goods, we usually just used a slightly damp cloth to clean, we did sell a mild cream conditioner, but can't recall which. Hartmann Luggage, who used a heavy natural 'belting leather' for much of their production, recommended cleaning with a very hot damp cloth, and over the years, saw what a beautiful patina that produced, as opposed to the customers whining about the dull saddle soap effect or the dark surface from oiling.

It's leather - flaws, scars and signs of use are part of its beauty. Will say that my 2006 Grand Caravan leather seats aren't perfect, but I treat them with a special automotive conditioner about once a year, and given the wear, heat, moisture, etc. they endure, they look really good, still supple with a nice soft gloss.

~Cheryl

9. Aquitaine

@DragonflyWink, and that 'special automotive conditioner' might be called?????:):) Thank you SO MUCH for your opinion!!! VALUED!!!! AND sounds like great advice!!!

10. DragonflyWink

Eh, not really recommending it for your leather ottoman, but will dig into the car washing stuff, since I can't remember - give me a bit of time...

Meanwhile, this seems like a pretty good article: https://www.forbes.com/sites/houzz/...-and-care-for-leather-furniture/#293973fa1ff9

And this one addresses oils (I used Lexol or Leather-New on my boots, saddles and other tack): https://www.libertyleathergoods.com/leather-oil/

~Cheryl

Aquitaine likes this.
  11. Aquitaine

12. DragonflyWink

Meguiar's Gold Class Rich Leather Cleaner & Conditioner - they makes wipes too, which I liked, but they dried out (just added some from the spray bottle).

~Cheryl

13. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'd get the kit, if you've paid out for the ottoman.

The best thing I use for leather is proper old fashioned saddle soap. The solid kind in a tin.

Jeff Drum likes this.
  14. ElleNVee

ElleNVee Member

I use weiman leather wipes to clean. They work well and leave no residue. Just saw Cheryl's post. I live in phoenix so all wipes get covered in saran wrap. 20200620_212112.jpg

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
Draft saved Draft deleted