Featured Not sure of the age or what it is exactly Funky wood box

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by gauntlettgems, Mar 15, 2018.

1. gauntlettgems

gauntlettgems Well-Known Member

fullsizeoutput_2583.jpeg
    Jewelry box, trinket box, cool box, I don't know. Any help on anything about this guy would be appreciated. Approx 6.5" tall x 11.75" wide x 4.5" deep. What type of wood, age, origin, maker, what to call it, etc. The drawers are suede/leather lined but that could have been a later addition as they are just sitting in place and not glued or permanent. I could find no evidence of nails used in the construction. Help!! TYIA fullsizeoutput_2586.jpeg

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Puzzle box. Artisan made. Lining probably original.

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

these were all the rage once...likely still made today..

4. desperate_fun

desperate_fun Irregular Member

Any letters or numbers on the bottom or on the bottom of the drawers?

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I wouldn't call this a puzzle box as there doesn't seem to be any secret to it. To my mind a puzzle box won't open until a correct sequence of moves has been discovered.

An odd shape to be sure, and whoever made this was careful to preserve the flow of the wood grain.

6. AJefferson

AJefferson Well-Known Member

Try looking up "Band Saw Jewelry/Trinket Box". They are typically cut using a band saw.

anundverkaufen and all_fakes like this.
  7. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

If u want to know where it was likely made, get a wood-smart person to ID the wood species. If it is monkeypod or narra, then it was most likely made in the Philippines. The one through-cut can be made with a jigsaw but the drawers, their slots being blind holes, would have to be made using very small diameter drills or side/end mills. PITA work, could only come from somewhere with very cheap labor. Still think monkeypod from Philippines may be the answer. If not signed, you’ll never know what Filipino sweatshop it came from.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
    gauntlettgems likes this.
  8. AJefferson

It's a trick of the eye. It is cut with a band saw and then a back is glued on. The outside it sanded to blend the wood. You can see a hint of it in the second picture at the foot.

9. springfld.arsenal

I see, thanks. First the outline is cut with a jigsaw, then a thin slice is cut off the entire back, then a hole is drilled from front to back to pass saw blade to start a drawer cut, then when all drawers are cut out, the back slice is glued back on, drawers finished, re-installed. Clever.

AJefferson likes this.
  10. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Yours is LOVELY!!!! The three drawers are nice!:):):)

I have a very simple heart shaped one drawer one....felt lined.....made out of cedar fence post, done by 'Rio Grande Woodworking', '95 and signed by a Paul Brimhall. When I first saw yours, I thought mine was more closely like yours......'til I went and took a GOOD look!

11. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  12. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

LOVE ! I have a thing about boxes,id have snatched that right up.

Huntingtreasure likes this.
  13. springfld.arsenal

The primary tool has to be a jigsaw for OP’s item, since a bandsaw blade is a closed loop and can’t get into a small hole. We have very large bandsaws with a machine on the side that cuts then welds and anneals a blade after you’ve threaded it through a hole to make an internal cut, but the process isn’t feasible or necessary for these small wood items.

Huntingtreasure likes this.
  14. gauntlettgems

Wow! I was thinking it was Danish or somewhere close to there but I cannot say why. I tried searching jigsaw box but nothing comes up like mine unless you search bandsaw box. Bandsaw box it is! Thank you everyone

15. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

I wouldn't assume it is an import; lots of US craftspersons like to make and sell these. Type of wood would indeed be a clue as to where it was made; looks to me like myrtle could be one possibility (which would suggest Oregon).
    Similar to

il_570xN_1090227228_hqy9.jpg

16. desperate_fun

desperate_fun Irregular Member

I bought a couple items from an Etsy seller who makes this type of boxes. He numbers all of his.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  17. gauntlettgems

I have no clue on the type of wood

18. AJefferson

I know a local craftsman that makes them. I sell them in my booth.

0717161147.jpg 0717161142.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted